Windows 2003 Server Reboots Unexpectedly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 Server Reboots Unexpectedly

One of my servers appears to be rebooting itself. At a first glance I thought it was related to Windows Update but I checked and it is set to download but not install. It still is a little odd as the server has no updates to install while other servers, which I have not updated in the same time since I last manually installed updates on this server, have none.

The server is running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition with Service Pack 2.

The event viewer has an entry right after the server came back up with the event ID 6008. The body says:

"The previous system shutdown at 10:48:10 AM on 2/22/2008 was unexpected.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

Some research I did told me I should try to enable a memory dump in order to determine what caused the reboot. I checked and it is enabled however I cannot find the .dmp file. Under "Startup and Recovery" I have checked:
    • Write an event to the system log
    • Send an administrative alert
    • Autmoatically restart
    • Write debugging information w/ Complete memory dump
    • Dump file to %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP
    • Overwrite any existing file

I also checked the registry entries for the Startup and Recovery settings and they appeared to match the settings above.

Perhaps its a power issue or some other hardware issue but at this point I am not sure. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Pat

Re: Windows 2003 Server Reboots Unexpectedly

Uncheck Automatic restart. That way, if this is an Blue Screen error you can at least read the screen before it reboots and maybe get some details.

Comment

Unfortunately I am only on site once a week and so while that is a good idea I won't be there and would have to ask someone to read it off to me. If I cannot solve it a different way I will have to resort to that. We currently have it to reboot so the servers will come back up themselves.

Comment

How recently was SP2 installed?

I had a simliar issue where my raid card driver would cause random reboots after Service Pack 2 was applied.
        Last edited by Garen; 22nd February 2008, 21:18.

Comment

On the other servers I applied SP2 a couple weeks ago. I cannot recall if I did on that server as well or if it had been done earlier.

Random reports? Did it reboot at all or just have error messages?

Comment

uh, reports = reboots. Dunno what I was thinking when I wrote that.

Comment

Gotcha. I'll look into updating my RAID driver. Anywhere that you found logs related to that? I'm curious as to how you determine it was your RAID driver.

Comment

I was setting up a bunch of new servers and they were all having the same issue. As a desperate last resort I read the release notes on HP's website for what they call "Product Support Packs".

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softlib2/so....w2k3.i386.txt

Updated the driver to properly handle shutdown events. On certain HP ProLiant servers configured with an HP Smart Array SAS/SATA controller (Driver version 6.6.0.x or earlier) as the boot controller, the system may blue screen or become unresponsive during shutdown after upgrading to Windows 2003 SP2 or applying Storport QFE (KB932755).

Comment

Have a lokk through your event logs for a SAVEDUMP event.

This will give you an error code thjat we can work from.

Comment

There are no SAVEDUMP events that I can find. Around the Event ID 6008 all I have is normal messages such as users printing.

Comment

Well as Meekrobe says you'll need to uncheck the Automatically Restart checkbox and wait for it to happen again.

Just another thing to check there isn't a scheduled task that reboots the machine is there???

I know its clutching at straws but it worth a ttry.

Comment

I checked and there are no scheduled tasks on the server.

At this point I no longer think it is a Windows Update issue as the server rebooted Saturday around 12:40AM and around 5:30PM the server had froze. I had users call me when no one could access the file serer and when I tried to remote in I could not even get to the server. At that point I had someone walk up to the server and check it out but the KVM would not go to it. In the end I had to have someone use the power button to shut it down and bring it back up. It was then that the server started working again and it has not randomly rebooted yet.

Today I rebooted it in order to take a look at the POST. Nothing looked wrong there. Looks like my for my RAID controller I have a PowerEdge Expandable RAID Controller BIOS H418 which was compiled May 03, 2004.

Comment

Try running the Dell DSET tests and see if that picks anything up.

Comment

Working...
                          X