Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we are currently running windows 2003 server and exchange 2003 enterprise.

i dropped the fileprint server last night and straight away outlook became unusable. The exchange server was online and running fine.

Is it because we are not running cached mode in outlook 2003???? Do we need to have the exchange setup as a global catalog server???

I thgouth maybe it was DNS but the secondar DNS server was up so that ruled it out...

i was quite surprised when it happened.

Are your users using pst files, and if so, are they stored on the file server?

Comment

good question i dont think so though

Comment

I would check to make sure. If they are and the pst files are on the file server this might cause the problem (although I would think Outlook would generate an error about not finding the file instead of what you are experiencing).

Also, is the file server a DC or GC?

Comment

had a look and they are not using .psts

the fileprint server is the domain controller but is selected to be a global catalog as well

when outlook freezed it posts the message at the bottom saying outlook is trying to retrive data from the exchange server.

Comment

Exchange needs the GC to work properly.

Disconnecting this while users are still connected is a no no.

Is exchange on a DC??

How many DC's do you have??

How many GC's do you have??

Comment

If you only have one DC and it's offline then users will not be able to confirm authentication when they use Outlook. It's my understanding that the initial authentication at login does NOT provide sufficient cover for ongoing operation of a mapped drive and outlook, but that every time Outlook or the mapped drive is accessed a supplementary "mini-login" is performed with the logon server. This means that if the DC is down there is no path for this "mini-login" and Outlook will freeze; as will any attempt to access a mapped drive. I would conisder the possibility of adding a second DC (also making it a GC) even if it is only a Virtual machine to cover this scenario.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

To reinforce what others have said: If the file server was a DC and a GC and you have no others than you need to bring it back online as Exchange needs to communicate with both a DC and a GC. If you have another DC and GC then reboot the Exchange server so that it can rediscover the topology. Reboot the client machines as well.

Comment

Working...
                X