Recover password for 2003 Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recover password for 2003 Server

The IT person at my church up and left without telling anyone the administrative password for a 2003 AD domain or any other piece of equipment. I reset the local admin password from the SAM but can't get the AD password reset. If anyone has any tips please let me know. This is the only thing I have left to unlock. I have already reset the pix and router passwords. Also I have tried the logon.scr change to cmd.exe and still get access denied when trying to reset the AD account.

Thanks,

In that case I suspect that my password reset page won't be of great help. You'll probably need to turn to the 3rd party expensive tools, unless you have a backup of your AD no older than 60 days in which you do know the password.

BTW, can't you just get to the guy? A baseball bat will do great tricks to his knee caps, don't you think?

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Its a very bad situation for the church. The whole reason the guy left was because the pastor and associate pastor asked the guy for the passwords to the servers and the video equipment. The guy didn't want anyone else having it for security reasons and got upset and left the church. I'm an IT manager for a credit union and I have to tell the CEO and VP of Operations the password in case something happens to me. I guess the guy never heard of diaster recovery. Anyway I have tried the password recovery routine on 6 different computers now and they all fail. Have anyone every tried the logon.scr to cmd.exe change on XP or 2000 Pro? Any other help is wecomed. The church is on a low budget.

Thanks,

Comment

As I've already told you on our conversation, the SCR trick will not work for AD accounts. However, to just reset the local admin's password you can use one of the other 4 methods described on my article - all of them are 100% free to use.

http://www.petri.com/forgot_administrator_password.htm
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

The logon.scr trick works to change 2000 domain passwords, but not server 2003. I'm not sure why though.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
          X