Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving redirected My Documents to another server

Hi,

I have a Windows 2003 domain. The users have their My Documents folder redirected to a server share. The same folders are also available offline on each users computer... Now we have another server available and I want to move this files to another server as painlessly as possible...

Quick google revealed that my naive first guess of changing GP for redirection and automatically available offline files (and manually copying server contents) will not do it.

There seems to be the problem with offline files. The old local cache on workstations could probably be reset with csccmd.exe but logon scripts run after GPOs so it might be too late?

Also there is a number of notebook users that might be away.

How would you do it? Any advice/pointers are appreciated.

Damir
    Last edited by damir222; 19th February 2008, 16:26. Reason: wrong forum, sorry

Re: Moving redirected My Documents to another server

It has nothing to do with the Wall of Fame right?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Re: Moving redirected My Documents to another server

This is why I hate Offline Files. There's no easy way around this that I know of.

If your users folders are small enough you could get away with doing nothing because a full sync will just cache everything again in a few minutes on the new server. That is of course if you have it set to do a full sync either on logon or logoff.

In the past when we swapped servers I used a combination of the above method and walking around to some of the more important users that I know actually take advantage of Offline Files and updating it manually using csccmd.

Keep in mind, you eventually have to either recreate the cache or run csccmd, if not you will always have the Offline Files icon showing up because the cache from the old location is still on the laptop.

Comment

Working...
      X