Win9x/ME cant login to domain after ip change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win9x/ME cant login to domain after ip change

We are moving computers from a public ip subnet to a private ip subnet. Currently we have both private and public ips assigned to the same nic on our domain controller(Win 2003). The private range we are using is 10.0.16.0 netmask 255.255.252.0. We are currently using a router to forward traffic between the two subnets even though all the computers reside on the same network.

All of our computers ips are statically assigned because we use dhcp for our phone system.

The problem occurs when we try to change the ip on Win9x/ME. After we reboot, and try to logon we get an error saying that no domain server was available. Our Win2k/XP machines all work fine. We have been able to get a couple of Win98 boxes to convert but only after much trouble, and when we try to duplicate the settings on other boxes we aren't successful.

Please, any help would be gratefully appreciated.

if you don't connect to the network, do u still have communication (ping) with the DC ?

if so, you might be having encryption problems. i am not sure about this, but i read in the past about legacy clients loosing touch with domain cause of encryption problems.

Solution No. 1: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Netw..._20845556.html

the MS-Solution: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;555038
    Yaniv Feldman
    Microsoft Security Regional Director
    Microsoft Management Expert
    MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

access to pdc

I can ping the pdc and access file shares as long as I have permissions. I get an error though that a domain server was not available to validate my logon. If I switch the ip back to the old ip address this problem goes away.

Comment

dsclient

I have also installed the dsclient for win9x. This does not affect the problem. I don't think it is an encryption problem because we are able to logon with the old ip address.

Don't know if this matters but the wins server is not running on the new ip address of the dc. It is however running on a secondary ip address of the dc that is available to the network. All clients point to both the ip of the wins server on the new subnet as well as the ip of the old subnet. I can't figure out how to make the wins server listen on all ips on a network card.

Comment

Have u try to re-joint domain?
          Make sure if you're DNS setting is correct (pointing to your DNS server new IP address). In my opinion you're having name resolution issue, if you have create DNS server using old IP (public IP) you should create a new zone for your new subnet (private IP) in your DNS server.

Comment

win 98 cant login

we have new zones setup in dns. We were using public ip address but they weren't publically available from the internet. After analyzing traffic for computers not able to login it looks like they are sending request to the correct ip address but then recieveing responses from the old ip address. We have two nics attached to the same network.

Nic one has two private ips assigned to it. A dhcp server listens on this nic and temporarily assigns ips to our voip phone system. The phones drop this intial ip and switch vlans where they then get a different ip from the phone system. Nic two has two ips assigned to it as well. One is the old public ip address and one is the new private ip. The server also responds to ip traffic on yet another ip address that is the first address in a range that we setup for vpn clients. I have determined that wins is listen on this last ip address and not the default address for the new private ips. I would like to know how to make wins listen either on every ip or on the ips that I specify.

Comment

Re: Win9x/ME cant login to domain after ip change

Originally posted by seldeterre
              We are moving computers from a public ip subnet to a private ip subnet. Currently we have both private and public ips assigned to the same nic on our domain controller(Win 2003). The private range we are using is 10.0.16.0 netmask 255.255.252.0. We are currently using a router to forward traffic between the two subnets even though all the computers reside on the same network.

Nic one has two private ips assigned to it. A dhcp server listens on this nic and temporarily assigns ips to our voip phone system. The phones drop this intial ip and switch vlans where they then get a different ip from the phone system. Nic two has two ips assigned to it as well. One is the old public ip address and one is the new private ip.
              I'm a bit confused about 2 ips address in 1 NIC, you mean an old IP (public) and a new one (private) are counted 2, am I right?
              And you said if you have 2 subnets, are they still exist (both)?Maybe you have to delete unused record in your DNS and WINS server to help your clients performing name resolution in a better way. And also check your W98 clients host file record to make sure if it's pointed to the rigth IP address (a new one).

Comment

Windows 98

We can't delete the old records from dns or wins yet as not all our clients have been moved over to the new range. We can resolve the dns name of the server to the correct ip address on both subnets. IE on the old ip a dns lookup for the server returns the servers old ip address. On the new ip a dns lookup returns the new address.

Comment

You can do it safetly by activated scavenging option in your DNS Server, it will deleted unused record automatically without disturb your active clients. How about my question about 2 IPs in 1 NIC, my assumption is right? Have u try to install a new OS to join your domain?Is it work ?

Comment

win 9x cant login

The problem is they aren't unused dns records until we move all our ips over to the new range. We have to ip addresses assigned to each nic. We can install win2k or xp and it works fine joining the domain. However, we have legacy software that only runs on win9x and that is why we need to be able to move them to the new subnet without upgrading their os.

Comment

it's worth to check whether hardconding the PDC Emulator in LMHOSTS of the 9x boxes solves the issue.
                      Something like:

Code:
                      10.0.3.100 mydc01 #PRE #DOM:domain_name
                      There is an example in LMHOSTS file...
                      Guy Teverovsky
                      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

win 9x cant login

we have tried that to no avail. I believe this is a problem not with the client but with the server. Captured network traffic reveals that the client is responding properly. The server, however, is either not responding or is sending the response out with the wrong source ip.

Comment

Working...
                        X