Having trouble with setting up DHCP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble with setting up DHCP

I'm learning Windows 2003 Server and trying to get the DHCP server working but can't get none of my workstations to receive an IP address. Does deploying the DNS Server have anything to do with it ? Which I am not sure if I have configured that correctly.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please feel free

Thanks

Re: Having trouble with setting up DHCP

DNS has nothing to do with DHCP requests.
    Did you activate the server?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

For starters I would like to make sure that I am doing this right. Somehow I got this much to work.

Linksys Router (DHCP is Disabled...acting as a switch only and NOT connected to Cable Modem for internet just yet).

All computers below are connecting to the Linksys Router
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 2003 Server Computer has two NICs installed. Only one is connected to the Linksys. Assigned a static IP of 10.0.0.121 with default gateway of 10.0.0.1 (not sure if I need to do this or not)

Windows 2000 Professional Workstation gets DHCP Assigned IP 10.x.x.x and a subnet IP but no gateway IP address from Server 2003.

Windows XP Professional Workstation gets DHCP Assigned IP 10.x.x.x and a subnet IP but no gateway IP address from Server 2003

Comment

In your scope options do you have option 003 Router set?

Comment

I also should add that right now even though I am able to play around with the DHCP settings to add things like a gateway IP and DNS server address neither of my two workstations can connect to the domain controller.

Thanks alot for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            In your scope options do you have option 003 Router set?
            Thanks for the reply.

Yes I do and the IP address that's inserted is 10.0.0.121
            which is the Windows 2003 Server NIC which is connected to the LinkSys Router.

Comment

Originally posted by justmehere View Post
              I also should add that right now even though I am able to play around with the DHCP settings to add things like a gateway IP and DNS server address neither of my two workstations can connect to the domain controller.

Thanks alot for the help.
              I managed to get the Windows 2000 Professional workstation connected to the domain but the Windows XP computer still cannot.

Does anyone know that whether or not a DNS Server IP address and GatewayIP address are definite requirements to allow these workstations to connect to the domain ?

It seemed to work when only both fields are being delivered via DHCP to the workstation even though only one of them right now can connect.

Comment

A DNS server is required to connected to an AD domain, a gateway is not. The problem may be with you setting the Linksys connected card as the gateway for the clients. If one server NIC is connected to the LAN and the other is connected to the Linksys then the clients need to use the LAN connected NIC ip address as their gateway and DNS server. Set those in DHCP and see if it works.

Also, why not just connect the Linksys router directly to the LAN and let all the computers use it as the default gateway? Making the server dual-homed is just going to make things more difficult to set up.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                  A DNS server is required to connected to an AD domain, a gateway is not. The problem may be with you setting the Linksys connected card as the gateway for the clients. If one server NIC is connected to the LAN and the other is connected to the Linksys then the clients need to use the LAN connected NIC ip address as their gateway and DNS server. Set those in DHCP and see if it works.
                  I think I might have already done that. I have the same IP address for the Gateway (003 Router) and DNS Server (006 DNS Server) which is 10.0.0.121 and which is being assigned to the clients via the DHCP server. This IP is the same static IP which I have assigned to the LAN side NIC. The internet side NIC will be connected directly to the cable modem. But for the moment I have removed the cable connection.

Also, why not just connect the Linksys router directly to the LAN and let all the computers use it as the default gateway? Making the server dual-homed is just going to make things more difficult to set up.
                  I guess what I am trying to do is to simulate a small business domain work environment and I am assuming that using two nics is the way its done in the real world. I kind of wanted to play with routing tables and maybe introduce another network (different subnet) using another router and using it as a bridge later on.

Thanks for the response.

Comment

Just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to connect the Windows XP workstation to the domain. I followed the instructions I found on the internet in that it was suggested that the PC DNS from the Domain be removed and then workstation the one which could not sign on be assigned to a local workgroup. Then reassigned back to the domain. It worked.

Thanks again for the help

Comment

Originally posted by justmehere View Post
                      Thanks for the reply.

Yes I do and the IP address that's inserted is 10.0.0.121
                      which is the Windows 2003 Server NIC which is connected to the LinkSys Router.
                      Which is wrong.

You default gateway is the IP address of your Router, which in your case is 10.0.0.1.

Comment

Can you clarify:

What server ip address is being assigned to the clients as the DNS server and default gateway?

It should be the ip address assigned to the NIC that is connected to the LAN, not the ip address of the NIC that is connected to the Linksys router.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X