Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DFS share that points to another computer harddrive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFS share that points to another computer harddrive?

Has anyone created a share on one server that is directed to a folder on another computer?

The share \\Server-A\Share is actually \\Server-B\d$\Data ?
    A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Re: DFS share that points to another computer harddrive?

DFS will do this for you but there's quite a bit of detail you'll need to read up on, like whether you want a stand alone or AD integrated setup etc so get over to the Microsoft Technet site and read up on the details.

DFS will basically allow you to create a share on chosen server, create a folder under that share which links to a share on another server, you could effectively have links to several data servers under this one share. I've simplified this somewhat but hopefully you'll get the idea

DFS can also replicate shares but again its best to read up on the specifics.

DFS comes installed and ready to go on 2003 so if you've got a couple of test boxes you can play around with then ofc best to start there than a production environment.

Hope thats a little helpful, read up http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...03+Guide&meta= then ask away with the questions and I'll help best I can.

Comment

I created the DFS share and it shows up the way I was hoping, I can access it but there is one problem - users cannot! No non-admin account can access the share. The error message is:

\\Computer-B\Share is not accesible. You might not have the permission to use this network source. Contact the administrator... Access denied.

The users can access the share if they go to the data source (which is \\Computer-A\Data1\Data2) and when I look at the security settings they look like other DFS shares I have running - which do work. But then again I have to be overlooking something, because if I wasn't it would be working. Right.

A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

I forgot to clarify whether you were using server 2003 or 2000?
        Are you clients running 2000 or XP?

Comment

The permissions will be on the share itself as you don't assign permissions anywhere in DFS.

You need to check two areas. The share tab and the security tab.

Is this a domain or a normal workgroup?
          Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

It dosn't sound permission related if they're able to access the shares directly but do double check both NTFS and Share permissions again just to make sure nothings amiss
            Last edited by Mouse; 15th February 2008, 14:03.

Comment

Working...
            X