Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS / WINS - pointed hostname to other server and moved chares

Hi there,
    I just encountered a problem I thought was solved.

Computer-A: Windows SBS 2003, running DNS/WINS/Exchange etc.

Computer-B: Windows 2000 server which only serve as file server.

I have a share on Computer-B called Data, software has been written addressing the UNC path \\Computer-B\Data as storage area. I created a share called Computer-A\Data and moved all the files from Computer-B\Data there. I unplugged Computer-B, opened DNS Management, deleted Computer-B host and created a CNAME for Computer-B with the same ip address as Computer-A.

I cannot access the share.

I can ping Computer-B and it will reply from the Computer-A ip address.
    I can access the share using \\ipaddress\Data and \\Computer-A\Data.

I get prompt for username and password when I try to access the share through \\Computer-B\Data.

I tried restarting WINS and DNS services on Computer-A, I repaired the local area connection on the workstation, restarted the workstation (I can not restart the server), created an entry in the hosts file referring Computer-B to the Computer-A ip address on the workstation...

I'm running out of ideas... has anyone seen this?

All tips and tricks are welcome!
    Kind regards,

Anders
    Last edited by Anders; 14th February 2008, 12:16. Reason: Corrected spelling
    A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Re: DNS / WINS - pointed hostname to other server and moved chares

Trying:
    "Connecting to SMB share on a Windows 2000-based computer or a Windows Server 2003-based computer may not work with an alias name."
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281308

The problem being that I have to restart. Someone claimed that illing explorer.exe and restarting it from task manager would re-apply registry settings but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone know a trick that re-applies the registry settings without restart?
    Last edited by Anders; 14th February 2008, 14:37.

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

So you have both systems running?
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Nope, unpluggehe network cable from Computer-B. I gave that up and I'm currently working on keeping both servers up and mounting the Share in question as a DFS sharepoint on Computer-A.

I created a DFS root on Computer-B that points to the Share that I moved to Computer-A, this way the old server is still up and answering calls for the share - but the data is physically located on Computer-A.

Why am I doing this? Well, there are many reasons. Storage size, backup and hardware quality. Computer-B is an old workstation (bought ~2001) with mirrored disks whilst Computer-A is a new server with Raid-5 and hotswap.

Anyway, now I'm having problems with DFS. I can access the share correctly, but no one that is not admin. I'm taking a look at the permissions right now but there is nothing really obvious.

I'm still working on the fix.

Comment

How do you access your DFS share??

It should be \\domainname\sharename

example \\test.local\testshare or \\test\testshare

What are the permissions on the share and the NTFS permissions.

Comment

Working...
          X