Less RAM reported By WIndows 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less RAM reported By WIndows 2003

I have installed 4GB RAM in the system and my system information reports only 2.49GB. Is it normal iN 32 bit Windows 2003?

Re: Less RAM reported By WIndows 2003

Yes this is normal. Check out the following site:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

thanks for the help. I' m still confused why it shows only 2.49GB? What will be the default memory reported if Im using WIndows 2003 EE SP1 32 bit.

Comment

How much does the BIOS report?

Is some shared video RAM?

(losing 1.5GB seems a little much, IMHO)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

BIOS reports all 4 GB.

Comment

How much RAM is on the video card? Is it one card or two? Got anything else installed that will require memory to be mapped out?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Also, if the server supports hot swap memory then some memory is being reserved for hot swap. What is the make and model of the server? Does it have SP2 installed? If not, try adding the /PAE switch to the boot.ini file.

Comment

Im using Onboard Video. No additional cards.Board does not support Memory hotswapping. I have Windows 2003 EE SP1 32 bit and my server is S5000VSA. Could you explain me what PAE mode does? I have heard that PAE mode is related to the amount of memory reported in OS.

Comment

adding the /PAE switch to your BOOT.INI file should make Windows report all 4Gb.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283037

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
                  X