Migrate Active Directory and DNS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate Active Directory and DNS

Our server that runs Active Directory and DNS is in need of an upgrade. What is the simplest way to transfer all this onto a new server?

We are running Windows Server 2003 SP2 and would like to move this onto 2003 R2

Re: Migrate Active Directory and DNS

Prepare the Forest for R2 using ADPREP on disk 2 of the R2 installation set. Build a new DC server with R2, and install AD Integrated DNS. Allow time for replication. Demote and decomission the old server and do a metadata cleanup to completely remove the old DC from AD.

All done!

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Question and/or comment: If you demote the old server (dcpromo) you wouldn't need to do a metadata cleanup.

Right or Wrong?

Comment

normally you don't have to do a metadata cleanup..
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Also make sure the server your going to demote doesn't hold any of the FSMO roles:

http://www.petri.com/determining_fsmo_role_holders.htm

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Ok thanks for the replies. Let me update what we are actualy trying to do.

We do not want to demote the server yet because this new server is not going to go live yet. We just want to copy over the AD and DNS so we can create our own little testing enviroment before we go live with it.

Any advice on this will be excellent

Comment

Then all you have to omit is the demotion; I would still transfer the FSMO roles to the new server in anticipation of demoting the old one; and I would also make the new one a Global Catalog server. (I'm very embarrassed that I forgot FSMO and GC before - sorry!)

So - build a new server, join the domain, promote it to DC and install DNS. Transfer the roles and make it a GC. All done!

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Will this not cause a problem when we take down the new server for our testing enviroment?

Comment

Hi,

testing enviroment term to you testing in production enviroment?

if its so then it will not harm cause your are adding dc, and going to play with it (unless you modify metadata or play with forest and schema).

once youe testing completes do not forget to remove orphan entry of new server (if you adding in testing in production enviro)

Rgds
                  Muneer

Comment

Working...
                  X