Lock computer (Ctrl+Alt+Del),can be accessed by other than admin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock computer (Ctrl+Alt+Del),can be accessed by other than admin

Friend of mine has got two computers (Laptop and Desktop) connected to each other via cross over cable (networked), both computers have got OS win2003 SP2. Normally he accesses both computer via administrator accounts

When he does not use them , he locks them by pressing (Ctrl+Alt+Del), some times he found his son accessed his laptop, he told me that he did not tell his son about the password for the username administrator.

There is no other accounts were created beside administrator account under “Local Users and Groups”.

I have checked by myself the “Add or Remove Programs”, I could not find suspicious program.

Is there away to access a locked PC without knowing the password

Re: Lock computer (Ctrl+Alt+Del),can be accessed by other than admin

No there isn't - unless the user name you are using is also an administrator. So for instance if the child has a user account "child1" which is also an administrator on the machine, he can force the existing user to log off and then log on himself.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

So for instance if the child has a user account "child1"
      Thanks for your reply.
      No there is no other user account beside the administrator account.

some time his dad let his son use the computer when the computer is unlocked. Can the son find out the password for the admininstraor in some how ?

Comment

Can I confirm:
        You have a home network -- laptop and desktop
        Both running Windows SERVER 2003 ?
        (the one designed to run large networks, not for single users on their personal machine) Sledgehammer and Nut spring to mind!

Please confirm these are genuine, legal copies of the software
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Please confirm these are genuine, legal copies of the software
          Yes they are legal copies

Comment

Thank you!
            Excuse my paranoia, but you know the boards attitude to illegal software and anything ending in Z

It still seems overkill, though!
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by zillah View Post
              Thanks for your reply.
              No there is no other user account beside the administrator account.

some time his dad let his son use the computer when the computer is unlocked. Can the son find out the password for the admininstraor in some how ?
              No - but of course he CAN change it while he's logged in. However, that would mean that Dad would NOT be able to log in because he wouldn't know the password

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

but of course he CAN change it while he's logged in.
                I knew that. but the password that his dad set it have not been changed!!!

And his dad did a test he changed the password , after a while still he found his son still able to access the PC.

Comment

Hi,

His son might be having the mind reader, or has the key of password box

Comment

Ofcourse it's possible and even quite easily.
                    That's why fysical security is so important.

If he you just install a keylogger and wait a couple of days I'm sure he'll find the password.. And if he likes he can easily hides it with a rootkit...
                    And no you don't need to find this in the add/remove programs.

Another options are programs like formely @Stake Lophtcrack which can do a brute force attack on the userdatabase. But this could take some time and it's rather easily to detect using the add/remove programs

Although you need some knowledge about hacking to do this it's quite basic...
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

If he you just install a keylogger and wait a couple of days I'm sure he'll find the password.. And if he likes he can easily hides it with a rootkit...
                      Is there away to verify this is installed or not ?

Comment

Their are some tools out there to find it, however it's not that easy.
                        A good AV will detect "most" keyloggers but most of them can't find the rootkits.

RootkitRevealer can detect most rootkits (formely from sysinternals)
                        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897445.aspx

However, the most easiest way is just format the machine and reinstall.
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I my have missed it (my old eyes you know) but CTRL + ALT + DEL does NOT lock the user out. It only brings up a screen that has Task Manager, Cancel, Change Password, Shutdown, Log off & Lock Computer.

Is the screen/computer actually locked?

Pressing the Windows Key + L is an easier way to lock the keyboard.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks biggles

Is the screen/computer actually locked?
                            He chose option : "Lock Computer" .
                            Last edited by zillah; 6th February 2008, 07:19.

Comment

Working...
                            X