Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IIS 6.0 only internally viewable. External viewers can't access.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIS 6.0 only internally viewable. External viewers can't access.

I have IIS 6.0 running ASP.NET 2.0 and Framework 2.0. (Windows 2003 Server SP2)

Server is located behind the firewall. (i.e. 10.0.0.10)

Router is 10.0.0.1

Port forward has been set to forward port 80 of 10.0.0.10 to 10.0.0.1 when requested. I have tried other port addresses such as 8080, 8888, 7780,7743 ... etc... but it hasnt work with IIS 6.0/MS Win 2003 Server.

I have other webserver running under linux which i use port forward (i.e. port 8080, 8888, 7780, 7743) and works well.

I can only narrow it down to the Windows 2003 server.

I do not run DNS on Windows 2003 server. (There is no need as mydomain.com provides a dns for my website)

From an internal PC, I can view the webpage on the server. i.e. http://10.0.0.10 works flawlessly.

However, when I use www.domain.com, it just sits there and doesnt work. I have pointed www.domain.com to the correct external IP address.

I can use www.domain.com:XXXX to view my linux www server....etc.

Is there a permission setting in IIS 6.0 that I need to modify? ( I haven't found any online that is similar)

Does the Windows 2003 Server rejects external request automatically?

BTW: My RDP (via port forwarding) works fine to the Windows 2003 server, even from an external IP address.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by sasukewa; 4th February 2008, 08:10.

Re: IIS 6.0 only internally viewable. External viewers can't access.

Hi,

it seems tobe authentication issue, kindly check have you selected anounymouse in site setiing.

below is the link which might help you to dis down the root cause.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Regards
    Muneer

Comment

Originally posted by muneer_bom3 View Post
      Hi,

it seems tobe authentication issue, kindly check have you selected anounymouse in site setiing.

below is the link which might help you to dis down the root cause.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Regards
      Muneer
      Hi Muneer,
      I have check the authentication... it is on anonymous. Otherwise, my workstation won't be able to view it either. I went through the MS site.. ... nothing useful or that works.

Comment

Hi,

what is the error you are getting while access the site from externally..

which firewall you are using?

have check any event relate to IIS on the server?

regards
        Muneer

Comment

Hi,

what is the error you are getting while access the site from externally..

which firewall you are using?

have check any event relate to IIS on the server?

regards
          Muneer
          There is no error message... it just time out.

The firewall is on the router. (Draytek 2910) Put it this way, if I port forward another linux web server to port 80, it work instantly. No problems. However, when I port forward the IIS 6.0, it just get stuck!

There is no IIS related error in the event viewer.

Thx for your help. If you like I will give you the link to check out. Try http://tmc.alluvial.biz

It is currently mapped to the IIS 6.0 server.

Comment

Hi,

Why I am not able to telnet on port 80, 8080 on your web site (tmc.alluvial.biz)

have you check the same from internal network... not from the server itself...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

can you install the diagnose tooolkit on server and paste the tracert log,,

Regards
            Muneer

Comment

Hi,

Why I am not able to telnet on port 80, 8080 on your web site (tmc.alluvial.biz)

have you check the same from internal network... not from the server itself...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

can you install the diagnose tooolkit on server and paste the tracert log,,

Regards
              Muneer

Why you can't telnet on port 80, that I am not sure. As for port 8880, that is a linux box running apache webserver.

I am going to install a clean 2003 and try again. (basically the web server edition).

Comment

Does the router or firewall have a proxy ARP setting for the server?

Comment

Everyone, thanks for your help. I have no idea why but it is now working. Sounds lame doesnt it!! I was in the process of creating another IIS 6.0 using virtualbox. While fixing the virtual machine, it decided to work!!! Only god knows why!!!!! I am pretty pissed with the whole saga, but let just say i restarted the machine a few times. Oh, I changed the network interface into bridge mode and have to reconfigure the network interface. That probably have something to do with it. Damn Microsoft!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X