Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming profile cannot be updated

Hi guys,

Im just starting up to create roaming profiles. the problem is im having this User Environment window where its says that "Windows cannot update roaming profile...etc... Contact your network administrator. and Details : Access denied.
    I gave the user full control to the folder where the profile is saved.
    I am using Windows server 2003 and windows xp as client. i searched for articcles but with no luck. please help. thanks
    Ronuel
    MCP
    There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Re: Roaming profile cannot be updated

Are you saving these profiles in a shared folder by any chance? If you are you might want to check the share permissions on the folder as by default everyone has read access only.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yes it is in a file server its like this \\fileserver\Profiles\username. Profiles folder has read permission to everyone and username folders has full control permission to the owner of the profile. do i have to create the profile folder to the DC or is it ok in the fileserver? thanks..
      Ronuel
      MCP

Comment

Profiles are fine on a file server, but remember you must check two sets of permissions:
        Share Tab, then Permissions button
        Security Tab
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I set up a test server and did the recommended suggestion for NTFS permissions. It worked fine and just today i again encountered the problem regarding that user environment: windows cannot update roaming profile etc... Access denied. i can fix though but what i do is in the permission tab i give the user or everyone full control. but yesterday it was working just fine with everyone has read permmision on the Profile folder and in the user folder user has full control and ownership. any clue why this is happening sir?
          thanks in advance
          Ronuel
          MCP

Comment

Originally posted by NonoRonuel View Post
            everyone has read permmision on the Profile folder
            Are you talking about SHARE permissions or NTFS (Security) permissions.
            Either way, the above is your problem. They can't WRITE to the folder

Make sure the permissions on the profile folder are at least:

Share: EVERYONE CHANGE
            NTFS: EVERYONE MODIFY
            Last edited by Ossian; 8th February 2008, 12:11.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I really appreciate the quick reply sir. anyway.. in Share permission

EVERYONE: Read

in NTFS (Security Tab) : everyone is not added

This is what i think if i give everyone change or modify permission it will mean that they can modify ervery users profile? Im not sure of my this but im going to try anyway. Thanks so much.. and i apologize because im just new in this IT industry.. and trying to learn by myself.. thanks again
              Ronuel
              MCP

Comment

Do as Ossian said above. At the moment nobody can write anything at all with them permissions.

When windows creates the profile folder of 'username' it sets the permissions of that folder so only THAT user can read that profile. When I say only I mean only as not even the Administrator account can read it.

If your wanting to backup these profiles I recommend you set...

"Add the Administrator security group to the roaming user profile share"
                Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Thanks so much guys.. i appreciate the help.. so far so good.. My server will be up an running soon thanks again.
                  Ronuel
                  MCP

Comment

Working...
                  X