Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning-up Poor 2003 Server Configurations

Aloha, folks!

I'm working with a client - in the process of auditing the network, I discovered many issues left behind by the former IT person. I've been pretty effective (and QUITE fortunate) in solving most of the problems, but one lingers on and I'm having some trouble trying to correct it. I've been trolling Petri for many years, and the help here has been tremendous. Niceties out of the way, let's press on

Client has a single 2K3 DC, currently doing all the DNS/DHCP/Active Directory duties.

Former IT person named the domain and DNS with clients registered DNS name...i.e., businessname.com. Causes some problems when it IS NOT the host for the clients website!

So, interim fix was to configure the DC to use the ISPs DNS server - not a good thing, I know, but they needed to get up and running.

Now, AD doesn't play nicely across the domain, since the server's configured with the TLD of .com. I looked at the process from Microsoft for doing a domain rename in 2K3, but since there's only ONE server (client is unable to buy more, since they're a non-profit) and transferring the AD info to a second DC is gonna be hard.

Any recommendations? Help? Direction? Advice?

Mahalo in advance,

Doug

Re: Cleaning-up Poor 2003 Server Configurations

Obviously not spent enough time trolling.

Have a look at this and see if this is what you are wanting to do? http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_domain_rename.htm

How many clients are running off the DC?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks, biggles - I found that, but was hoping there might be a more streamlined (read: easier for me!) method. I even went as far as downloading all the links from Microsoft; but that's where I ran into the "second DC issue", and hoped that since this domain is so flat, there might be a better way to do it.

There are about 40 machines connected, 1 DC and 5 printers. No email servers or anything else. Sounds simple enough, right? Or maybe not...especially after I read the rename procedure and checked out the tools.

Please let me know if you need more details - I have all the info!

Doug

Comment

From what I can tell about your original post it seems that the issue is users cannot access the company web site when your DC is not the host. In that case just create a DNS record manually pointing www to the external IP of where it should go.

Also make sure you put back the DNS of the DC and all workstations to your internal DNS, then setup forwarding to the ISP dns, from your DNS.

What that the issue? Did I miss something.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks, Lior - that's pretty much the main issue - as long as I use the ISPs DNS, the users cannot get to the website using the company's registered domain name - so, I configured DHCP to provide the ISPs DNS server addresses to the user computers. It works, but it sure wreaks havoc with AD for the local network.

So is the answer as simple as creating a DNS record for the registered website? Should I leave the server DNS name of businessname.com alone, and let all the user computers register with the .com TLD? I know it'll work, but I'd like to leave this client with a PROPERLY configured network, so they don't face this again.

Thanks for the encouraging help!

Doug

Comment

Of the two options, definitely create that DNS record and leave the internal domain name alone. Its a common misconfiguration, but renaming is alot more trouble.

Point everyone back to the Internal DNS.
            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I have sites with the same configuration. Fire up DNS and just create a host called www pointing to the external IP address. Works fine for me, not that it wouldn't as this is what DNS is really designed to do
              Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Howzit, all!

Just an update to say thanks for the help - I added the record in DNS for the off-site webserver addresses, and pointed all of the clients back to the DC for DNS...and sure enough, AD is MUCH happier having the DC back in the loop

And I didn't have to do the domain rename! However, I sure hope that EVERYONE that installs a new Microsoft domain adheres to the proper guidelines - it'll sure save a lot of headache later on!

Thanks again for the help!

Doug

Comment

Thanks for posting back the results.
                  Glad to see it worked.

Comment

Working...
                  X