Corrupt Roaming Profile?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupt Roaming Profile?

We are running W2K3 with AD and Roaming Profiles. Our client PCs are running XP Pro. I logged in as admin on one of our client PCs today and installed several applications. When I logged off and had the user log back into the PC we discovered that when he clicked Start and went to All Programs nothing happened. Subsequent logon/logoffs yielded the same results. Logging him into a different PC also yielded the same results. If I change his Start Menu properties to the Classic layout he can then access the Programs list. If I put him back to the standard Start Menu layout it again doesn't allow access to the All Programs list. After hours of reading/searching I haven't found a way to restore this function. Can someone give me some suggestions?

Re: Corrupt Roaming Profile?

Close management of the Domain Group Policy, restart 2k3.

Comment

A few things to help narrow down the problem:

-Check the event log for errors, especially the Userenv errors.
      -Log on to another computer with the same user and see if there's a problem there as well
      -Log on the the computer that's having the issues with a different user (a new user would be good)
      -Uninstall the programs you just installed to see if the problem goes away (do it one at a time checking after each)

Let us know the results.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's what I've seen so far:

1. Tried the server reboot once I could work it into the production schedule. Cannot see any difference as a result of the reboot. The standard Start Menu still does not allow Applications menu to open. The "Classic Menu" continues to work.

2. When I have this user log onto a different computer the problem follows the profile.

3. I created a new user in AD, logged onto the suspect PC with that new user's ID and built a profile that included using the new programs. While in this Local Profile mode had no trouble with the Start Menu. Then I switched the new profile to a roaming profile and logged onto that same PC to absorb the local profile into the new roaming profile. That new user has no problems with the Start Menu.

4. I have not tried uninstalling the programs yet but I can give that a shot. I just assumed that once the problem was following the profile to other PCs the problem was not tied to those applications but to the profile.

5. One other thing I noticed. When we deleted a couple of files out of the problem profiles "My Docs" folder when the user was logged onto this problem PC the files moved to the Recycle Bin as expected. However, when he logged off and back on those files were once again in his My Docs folder. Seems like there might be some synchronization issue here between the cached version of his profile and server version. Is this a clue?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Well it sounds like a corrupt profile.
          Have you checked the event log for Userenv errors?

The next step would be to backup any files the user needs and then delete the profile on the server and any locally cached profiles.

Let me know if you need steps on how to delete the profiles.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Jeremy -

Just to clarify, do you want me to check for Userenv errors on the server or on the desktop?

Would it be better to restore the server profile from a backup or to just delete it and start over?

If we need to delete both profiles I would really appreciate any directions you can provide. I obviously will want to maintain as much user data as I can without bringing the corruption forward into the new profile.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I've checked the Event logs on both the server and the client and both are reporting Userenv Warnings -- Event ID 1525. Apparently I need to disable "offline caching" on my roaming profile share. Before I do this I have a few
              questions:

1. All my roaming profiles are in a shared folder called "Roaming". Do I just change this attribute on this folder or do I need to make changes in each profile?

2. Is there a particular sequence I need to go through to make sure I don't loose any user data before changing the attribute (ie: make sure all roaming profiles are logged off) ?

3. If I simply check the "Files or programs from the share will not be available offline" will the server profiles simply overwrite the locally cached version?

Appreciate the help.

Comment

1. Offline settings are valid only for the shared folder, not subfolders so turn it off on the parent shared folder.

2. You won't lose any data so just turn caching off, nothing else is needed.

3. Yes, that is the way it should work.

Comment

Good to hear from you again joeqwerty.

Appreciate the answer. I've made the change on the Roaming share folder. I assume the Userenv errors will now go away immediately.

Any idea's on repairing the corrupt user profile? Jeremy W suggested deleting the profile and recreating it. If that's the only way to fix this I'd really appreciate any specifics you guys can pass along to make sure I preserve the users data without moving the corruptions forward with the data.

Thanks.

Comment

I'm not really aware of any way to fix the corrupt profile short of deleting it and letting windows create a new one. You may have to save any important user data first, such as Outlook's NK2 file, My Documents (unless you are redirecting My Documents), etc. You may want to wait and see if anyone else has ideas.

Comment

Sorry for the delay.

Looks like Joeqwerty answered most of your questions.

As for recreating the profile:

- make sure the user isn't logged on any machine
                      - delete the profile from the network share (a folder with the same name as the username)
                      - create a folder in the network share with the same name as the user and set the proper permissions (IIRC the user needs to be the folder owner)
                      - on the workstations that the user has a cached profile, browse to and delete the profile folder (C:\Documents and Settings\username)
                      Also, if necessary, delete any profile folders with the format of username.domain, username.domain.000, username.domain.001, etc.

Before deleting anything make sure you have current backups and be sure to save anything from the profile you need.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                        Sorry for the delay.
                        Before deleting anything make sure you have current backups and be sure to save anything from the profile you need.
                        Hi I am new here...and noob network admin....should be only network technician but I am on a Network Admin crash course.

I have problem similar to this one...this is as close to what I have, as I have found after hours of googling.

My clients roaming user profile I think is corrupted.
                        I can make a new profile and I have no problems.
                        But there is alot attached to this old profile and I need to make sure I don't destroy something...so I am going very slow before I delete an old profile.

Here is the problem. All of a sudden...when user logs in to her profile:

1. She can not access programs...like Outlook and Internet Explorer.
                        Internet explorer gives error, "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe Can not access specified device path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions."

2. The start menu Recently Used Programs on the left portion of Windows XP Menu is blank.

3. I can not run command prompt....same message as above.

4. If I log in as the new user I made her...no problems. As Admin...no problems.
                        But her account is hosed.

My main concern about deleting the profile is her connection to the domain Exchange Server. I am not sure if I will be deleting her messages...and not sure where those messages are stored. This is most important.

I have located the Exchange System Manager. Located the Mailboxes. There is no option to move the mailbox...it is greyed out. I don't want to delete the mailbox. Is there someway to associate the existing mailbox with a new user? Example
                        : Existing user = JohnP
                        : New user = JohnPongo
                        I would like to move mailbox to [email protected]

------------------------------------------------
                        There are also other applications I will need to restore...and I am not sure how many applications will automatically restore with a new profile...I need old profile information to determine what applications were being used by her profile.

Does this make sense? Can someone guide me a little here?

Thanks for support. Over my head. Drowning....

Watchman220
                        Last edited by Watchman220; 20th March 2008, 20:46.

Comment

Working...
                        X