Domain and Local user point to the SAME profile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain and Local user point to the SAME profile

I have recently implemented a AD domain in my friend's appartment because they wanted to share files and printers, and have remote access.

They all have their existing local user profiles on their computers (all XP sp2 clients).

I would like to make it so when I create a domain account for each of them, it will point to their current local profiles on their computers now.

I have read many articles and posts about copying the users profiles and settings via windows wizards and such, but these solutions will not work for my application. I am under the impression that if I "copy" the local profile to the domain profile, then whatever settings and files are changed while using the domain profile will not remain constant in the local profile. (please correct me if I am wrong)

I need to get it to where when my friends go back home (we are in college; the appartment is student housing), they will be able to log onto just their computer and still use the same profile they had been using while loged on the domain.

Thank you in advance for you help.

Re: Domain and Local user point to the SAME profile

Originally posted by Tdcdodger View Post
    I am under the impression that if I "copy" the local profile to the domain profile, then whatever settings and files are changed while using the domain profile will not remain constant in the local profile. (please correct me if I am wrong)
    Yes, and that's because they are two separate profiles. Let's say you have a local user called Sarah. Then you create an AD user called Sarah. Two different users. Two different profiles. When Sarah logs on, she will either logon locally or onto the domain, depending on what is in the drop down box when you click the Options button in the logon dialog.

Now, if Sarah logs onto the domain always, (and there is no reason for her not to, is there?) changes made to her domain profile will always be there, so these changes will no propagate tot he local, old, profile of the other Sarah account. What's wrong with that? Just copy the local profile over to the domain profile and the domain profile becomes THE ONE.

The easiest way to copy a profile is to logon as the new user account (i.e. logon as Sarah to the domain) she will get a blank new desktop, and then immediately restart the PC. Now, logon as Administrator and right click My Computer, properties, Advanced, under Profiles click Settings then highlight the old Sarah profile (it will be larger) and copy it to the new folder path for the new Sarah domain account. Something like C:\Documents and settings\Sarah.DomainName

Note that if the domain account is different fom the local one, e.g. SarahDoe then the path to the domain profile will be like C:\Documents and settings\SarahDoe.

In fact, after the domain account Sarah is hapily logged on with all her settings, you should delete the old user from local users and groups on the PC and then there will be only one profile, for Sarah, the domain one.

OK, so far so good. If you do not implement roaming profiles, her profile will be stored on the PC itself.

Remember that now, the old local profile for the local computer account for Sarah no longer exists at all. You deleted it because it is obsolete.

The only bit I don't get is why
    but these solutions will not work for my application.
    - since the new domain profile is still on the local PC's hard disk, what's the problem about it being there?

They will never use 2 profiles, so there are no concerns about having different copies of profiles, so no problem with changes to one profile not reflecting in the other profile. The computers will never logon locally, they will always logon to the domain, even if they are laptops and are physically disconnected from the domain.

If I have completely misunderstood your objections to using the domain profile instead of the local profile, do let me know in more detail why it's such a problem ciopying from local profile to domain profile then deleting the local profile.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by Tdcdodger View Post
      I have recently implemented a AD domain in my friend's appartment because they wanted to share files and printers, and have remote access.
      Must be nice to have a friend with the spare cash to splash out for not just a server but a copy of Server 2003 and all the CALs as well?

Why not use Home Server -- far cheaper.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I am a CIS major at JMU.. my school has a partnership with microsoft, we get a lot of microsoft software for free, including server 2003 enterprise...

Comment

I kind of guessed he got it free.

However, you have to be really really certain that you are not pirating the software. Just because it is free, does not mean you can take it out of the organisation and install it in someone's home or office. Just think about the Action Pack for example - loads of free software, for the company to try out, all with licence numbers, but you cannot take it home and install it there to use. Be very careful here!

Actually, for the benefit of other readers, you can share files, printers and have remote access using a windows XP box. Up to 10 users sharing, up to 1 user remote control. If you create a VPN on a cheap router, you can give all users access to files and folders remotely, even with an XP box doing the serving.
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.
          MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
          X