• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating Windows 2K to 2K3 with FSMO roles Down

Hello.

Needing some quickly help here

We have a DMZ domain for our Extranet, this domain consist of four Boxes,
    one for the extranet itself,one for the extranet development and two boxes which holds
    the two domain controllers which also are in a cluster for some file sharing.

The problem is that one of those node (of the cluster) failed last night with a hard disk
    alarm, that node holds 3 of the five FSMO roles (been Infraestructure Master, Relative ID (RID) Master and
    PDC Emulator).

These nodes are with Windows 2000 SP4, so with have some new boxes for a fast migration which we want to do it
    quickly but right.

We have already the boxes (but we gonna work with one box first) running Windows 2003 Enterprise SP2, so What I have in mind
    is :

Configure The Windows 2003 as a Domain Controller
    Seize the FSMO to this new Box
    Convert the new 2003 as a Global Catalog

The Windows 2000 domain is Not Native and also the domain controller that is UP is running Exchange 2000 but I can see that is
    only 8.82MB (in change or remove programs) and we don't use exchange in that DMZ, so I don't really know what exchange is doing there.

Any advice??
    Anything that I need to check befiore doing something?

A better way to do this (or a Good one)?

Regards
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Re: Migrating Windows 2K to 2K3 with FSMO roles Down

You have to seize the FSMO roles to your existing dc. Than you can install a new DC, and redevide your FSMO roles.
    [Powershell]
    Start-DayDream
    Set-Location Malibu Beach
    Get-Drink
    Lay-Back
    Start-Sleep
    Wake-Up!
    Resume-Service
    Write-Warning
    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Redevide?

I do not understood that, could you told me what is it?.

Also I supposed that I don't really need to follow up this guide
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325379

but anyway and reading it
      When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Is this correct?
        In current situation you have two domain controllers.
        Both are Windows Server 2000.
        One Failed and can not be recovered. The crashed server holds following FSMO roles: RID Master, PDC emulator and the Infrastructure master.

If so:
        Before upgrading you environment to Windows Server 2003 you need to bring the FSMO roles back up. The only way to do that, is to sieze the roles to the DC (Win 2k Server) which is still online.

When All FSMO reoles are back online, you can followe the guidelines in this article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325379) to upgrade to Windows Server 2003
        [Powershell]
        Start-DayDream
        Set-Location Malibu Beach
        Get-Drink
        Lay-Back
        Start-Sleep
        Wake-Up!
        Resume-Service
        Write-Warning
        [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Killerbe View Post
          Is this correct?
          In current situation you have two domain controllers.
          Both are Windows Server 2000.
          One Failed and can not be recovered. The crashed server holds following FSMO roles: RID Master, PDC emulator and the Infrastructure master.

If so:
          Before upgrading you environment to Windows Server 2003 you need to bring the FSMO roles back up. The only way to do that, is to sieze the roles to the DC (Win 2k Server) which is still online.

When All FSMO reoles are back online, you can followe the guidelines in this article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325379) to upgrade to Windows Server 2003
          Yes That's Correct and that What I'm doing Right now.

Finishing the Backup.

Something else plz....

as in the guide I have this commands That I need to execute before enter the 2003 box to the domain

a. adprep /forestprep
          b. adprep /domainprep

How long should I have to wait between commands?.

I guess that after I finished to install the 2003 box I just need to made it a Global Catalog and move the FSMO roles to 2003.

After seizing the FSMO Roles should I have to reboot? (I don't want this cause I don't want a worst problem).

I supposed that I will not need to migrate the users and the DNS, I'm right?

Anything else Outside the questions that I must bear in mind please Just let me know.
          Last edited by Nehemoth; 22nd January 2008, 19:45.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Sequence you have choosen is wrong.

First seize the roles on any existing DC and run ADPREP then install a new box.

Promote the new box as a DC and transfer the roles on to it..........

Let us know if still need to know any specific point.

One more point to add: It's not recommended to configure DC as a cluster node.

Regards,
            Kapil Sharma
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Originally posted by kapilsharma11 View Post
              Sequence you have choosen is wrong.

First seize the roles on any existing DC and run ADPREP then install a new box.

Promote the new box as a DC and transfer the roles on to it..........

Let us know if still need to know any specific point.

One more point to add: It's not recommended to configure DC as a cluster node.

Regards,
              Thank you Kapil

Here's What we done and working like a Charm

#1 Seize the FSMO Roles to the Current DC (One by One)
              #2 As exchange was installed in the server with created the file as is described in the kb article 325379 (Is Attached here).
              Bear in mind that this file must be safe with the LDF extension and in Unicode format.
              Is supposed that this file should be saved in the %userprofile% but as this wasn't working in our server with just save it in the root of the profile that we was using (administrator), after this this command should be execute
              Code:
              c:\documents and settings\%username%>ldifde -i -f inetorgpersonprevent.ldf -v -c DC=X "domain name path for forest root domain"
              Then again as the %username% variable wasn't working with just execute it from the profile root and beginning from here
              Code:
              ldifde -i -f inetorgpersonprevent.ldf -v -c DC=X "domain name path for forest root domain"
              #3 from the Windows 2003 CD in the 1386 folder execute first
              adprep /forestprep

Way for some minutes until the process finished and after that execute the next command.

Note : If you have more than one DC wait are less 20 minutes so the replication finished up.

adprep /domain prep

After these steps everything else will work like a charm.

Just enter your 2003 box, add it to the domain, run DC Promo, create a DNS (in our case because we want to transfer the DNS to), configure as a Global Catalog and transfer all the FSMO Roles.

Regards everyone here for the great help
              Attached Files

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

You are always welcome.............

Regards,
                Kapil Sharma
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Working...
                X