Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't create more than 5 Disk Partitions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't create more than 5 Disk Partitions?

Hello -

I have Win2k3 R2 64-bit.

I have a 600GB disk with un-allocated space. It will only let me create a max of 5 partitions. Then, when I right click on the unallocated, the "new partition" option is greyed out.

Is there truly only a limit of 5? Can I change this option via a registry? I'm definitley going to need more than 5.

Thanks...BirdDog

Re: Can't create more than 5 Disk Partitions?

I assume the disk is a Basic disk? Change it to a Dynamic disk and you should be fine. You can do this from Computer Manager.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Comment

The normal limit with a basic disk is 4 primary or 3 primary plus one extended (with many logical drives in the extended partition). I don't know if 64Bit changes that as I have this vague memory of GPT partitions.....
      Edit -- GPT is up to 128 partitions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table)

Anyway, as suggested, think about dynamic disks, which have no limits on the number of volumes....

Also, why do you need more than 5 partitions on a single disk? Are you wanting to multiboot different operating systems?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Think hard and do your research about changing from Basic to Dynamic. Changing back to Basic or imaging a Dynamic drive can be interesting.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Think hard and do your research about changing from Basic to Dynamic. Changing back to Basic or imaging a Dynamic drive can be interesting.
          Oh, changing back to basic is easy....
          1) Delete all the volumes
          2) Change disk to basic
          3) Create partitions

Nothing to it -- about 5 minutes work

Seriously, good points from Biggles. Can any imaging software cope well with dynamic disks?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Can any imaging software cope well with dynamic disks?
            unix dd command never failed me when I was cloning low end windows 2003 servers with software raid1
            ________
            Buy No2 Vaporizer
            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:01.
            Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

What's the issue with imaging Dynamic disks?
              |
              +-- JDMils
              |
              +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
              |

Comment

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...G=Search&meta=
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Be careful before you decide to have lots of partitions. Often you gain no benefit and end up with not enough space on the partition you "thought" was going to be big enough.

I had a nightmare recently taking on support for a server with 5 partitions, one for the swap file, one for the OS, one for this, one for that... why oh why was it setup like that and when it ran out of space on one part it was a real pain. Why not just have one for O/S and swap, and a second one for the data. Since it's on the same physical disk, there is not performance issue to consider.
                  Best wishes,
                  PaulH.
                  MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
                  X