Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help ASAP - Server 2003 / NAT

Hello everyone,
    This is my first time on the forums and I did do a search to see if I could find an answer on my topic but couldn't find a solution.

Here's my problem:
    I am freelancing for a company that just had a motherboard go out on their main 2003 Server. This server handles DNS, DHCP, IP Routing, and NAT. I replaced out the motherboard, and reinstalled all components, including the 2nd nic (their external one). All clients can access the server to include mapped shares, but no one can get out to the internet. This is also haulting all emails obviously. Here is the setup:

1.) Internal NIC -- 192.168.1.225 / 255.255.255.0 / DG 192.168.1.225
    External NIC -- Obtained Dynamically from ISP

2.) When I disable the internal NIC, I can surf just fine from the Server.

Is there some captain obvious mistake I've made here, or should I blow away NAT and redo it?

Re: Need Help ASAP - Server 2003 / NAT

It seems to me that the default gateway is the problem. Remove the DG from the internal NIC and see if that helps.

Comment

Will it operate correctly without the default gateway in place on the internal nic? Sorry kind of a noob here on the network side of things.
      Let me clarify the situation.

All clients hook into a switch which hooks into the internal nic of the router. DHCP is setup to give address in the range of 192.168.1.10-192.168.1.254 excluding obviously 225 and a few others reserved for network printers, etc. What should the default gateway to the internal NIC be set at, and is there any changes that should be made under routing and remote access. Like I said everything was working fine until the MOBO went out on the server and I replaced it. Used the same MOBO (same chipset) so nothing needed to be reinstalled.
      Last edited by J-Smoothy; 14th January 2008, 16:41.

Comment

AFAIK, the internal NIC won't need a DG, only the external NIC will. We use this kind of setup on our multihomed TS servers. You may have to look at RR to see if you need any routing settings. Try it first by removing the DG and see what happens.

Comment

Thanks a lot. I am heading on-site now and will let you know if this works out.

Comment

The Default Gateway is a PER SERVER setting. So - if one NIC has a default gateway then that is the default gateway for the whole server; the OS gets WELL confused if it is told about two default routes to the Internet. Obviously you can configure other gateways; but only one DEFAULT gateway.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks for the input guys -- worked like a charm. I also called their ISP and discovered that they had a static IP address so I was able to resolve that issue also. Thanks for the speedy responses...they couldn't be happier with the results!

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
                X