Imaging server 2003 - Best program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imaging server 2003 - Best program

I've read several thread regarding this, but I'm trying another angle.

I had a server OS die on me and unfortunatly this mirrors as well.
    I have an external USB drive and would like to image the OS (server 2003) so if my OS corrupts, I have a backup.

What is the best program to make a simple image (like a backup) of the OS in addition to my mirrored drives, tape backup and other External USB drive?

I have ghost and acronis, but they work as servers and I need something that will just run and I can copy back, like ghost does for new systems.
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Re: Imaging server 2003 - Best program

DriveImageXML works pretty well if you're imaging back to the same server or similar hardware. You do have to make sure that your boot media (when restoring) supports your particular storage drivers (SCSI, SAS). DriveImageXML is free and I use it to image my TS servers all the time.

Comment

I use g4s. it can even write or read the image to an ftp server over LAN
      ________
      Beijing-benz daimlerautomotive
      Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:01.
      Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

USB and imaging I may be going in the wrong direction with this. I'm using a USB exterinal, which USB doesn't seem to work before windows start up.
        So you guys have experience with replacing server 203's os with an image file?

Thanks for the replys BTY
        I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
        Chris Robertson
        The Computer Doctor

Comment

If this is a DC you want to image?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

When restoring the image you would boot to a bootable CD (such as BartPE, ReatogoPE, Acronis, etc.) and then you would have access to the image on the external USB hard drive. As long as the boot CD has access to the hard drive on the server (the boot CD would need the appropriate storage drivers for your SCSI or SAS HD, etc.) then you would have no problem restoring the image. Acronis allows you to create a bootable CD to use when creating and restoring the image.

Comment

Imaging server 2003 - Best program

Thanks for the info. I've seen the bootable cd for acronis... and yes this is the DC. does that cause an extra problem I've not thought about?

My thinking in this is,
              *yes I've got a tape(s) backup but they aren't large enough to copy the os, plus you couldn't restore
              *I have the mirrored drive, but if my os gets damaged, then the damged file is mirrored. Mirrored drives are only good for a hdd failure, not corruption.
              *I want to mirror the os externally so if I have virus/os corruption etc. I can plug it back in boot and restore the os then run a recover from the backup tapes.

I also have a usb hdd that I take home every evening.

Is this correct thinking? I know if my motherboard dies, I have to rebuild it and this image wont quite work.

One las word with acronis. I see a backup server, but I don't need a server for backing up remote computer. Only the one. Do I just put the backup server on the same computer and image to the external USB?

I'm trying to figure this out before something happens and I go, "oops, that didn't work like I thought it would"
              Chris Robertson
              The Computer Doctor

Comment

Ghosting/imaging a DC to use as a restore option at a later date is a big no no.

Daily backups of the System State and other appropriate files is one option. Another is to have a second DC on the network. Third option is to have a Virtual DC running on a server that is NOT the DC.

Don't know if you could run a Virtual DC on a machine running XP as the host O/S. Someone who reads this will know that answer.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Restoring DC from image is a big no-no unless it is the only DC in the domain. Also check out SorageCraft as I have from good sources that you can restore an image to different hardware.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    Don't know if you could run a Virtual DC on a machine running XP as the host O/S. Someone who reads this will know that answer.
                    I can't answer that other to say why would you want to? I don't see the advantage of having it on a VPC over just installing it on the machine. If you are relying on this to be a backup of your DC, you wouldn't want to use that xp machine for your workstation (or much of anything), so why not just install the machine with Server 2003?

IMHO, the extra $1500 to setup a cheap additional DC will pay for itself with peace of mind, not to mention if one of them ever bites the dust!

I use Terabyte Unlimited's IFD for our workstations and any server where the OS is not on RAID. Otherwise we just have regular veritas backups.
                    Last edited by whyaskwhy; 19th January 2008, 20:53.

Comment

I use Acronis to image my servers right after the installation of all updates, and before i assign any roles to them, after that i use Veritas to back up system state and AD related data.

Comment

First, we don't have the overhead to buy another right now.
                        Whats the reasoning about no imaging a DC exactly? This is the only DC in the system. We only have 80Ghdd. No fancy network here.

Just need a simple way to image the server so we can resotre it quickly in the event of viral damage, or corruption. We also have this prepritory software that takes a lot of setup and manipulation that does our accounting and project management that I would want to try to set back up any time soon.

So if we can image the DC, how? If not, what is a similar alternative.
                        I already have the drive mirrored, and backed up 3 times (tape, usb take home and usb book) but I need to protect the domain/os/etc.
                        Chris Robertson
                        The Computer Doctor

Comment

Aperenzy.. You seem to be doing this with acronis. I have it, but I don't know what version etc. and it doesn't seem like it will do a bootable image disk like Ghost 12 will.
                          What is your process? What version etc.?
                          Chris Robertson
                          The Computer Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by crobertson View Post
                            First, we don't have the overhead to buy another right now.
                            Whats the reasoning about no imaging a DC exactly? This is the only DC in the system. We only have 80Ghdd. No fancy network here.
                            I would suggest writing up a report on what they need to purchase and how much it will cost to have a proper failover system. The reason for this is to cover yourself because when it all goes pear shaped YOU will be the one blamed unless you have previously provided them with a warning document (you will probably be blamed anyway but at least you will have an I told you so).
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                            X