Permissioning issue after loading Windows Server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permissioning issue after loading Windows Server 2003

I loaded Windows Server 2003 R2 on a Dell server. I have a few accounts that have administratrive priviliges on this server and are unable to run any executible from any directory on the server. I have a system administrator account that is able to run executibles on this machine.

This server has service pack 2 installed. Are there any restrictions with service pack 2 regarding running .exe files on a server? This is not a domain controller.

The error message I receive is "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Any suggestions??

Re: Permissioning issue after loading Windows Server 2003

What is the path you are trying to access??

Is it local or network??

Do the users actually have permissions to access the folder in question??

Just because the users have admin rights doesn't automatically give them access to files and folders.

Comment

The account does have full access to the folders. It seems that it is any .exe file we try to run from this machine. We have tried local .exe files and network shared .exe files. We get the same error regardless(just shows a different path).

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

We do have one account, which has elevated priviledges (system administrator),that is able to run these executibles. However, we do not want to give individual users that much power.

My thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comment

What are the permissions??

Are the users actually logging onto the machine (server) in question?? If yes then this is a bad idea.

Comment

It appears that the issue was that the folder was copied over from another computer and needed unlocked. This has been resolved, thanks to all for your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by dbundschuh View Post
            It appears that the issue was that the folder was copied over from another computer and needed unlocked. This has been resolved, thanks to all for your suggestions.
            You mean you had to take ownership of the folder??

Congrats on fixing it though.

Comment

Working...
            X