Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2003 Server and multiple networks

Hello,

I have a concern regarding windows server 2003 and securing my network structures.

The TEST network:

I can boot into installed partitoned versions of windows 2003 server on the 2 PCs and experiment with the following setup's

TEST SCENARIO 1:

PC#1 set up partition 1: Primary Domain server (10.10.10.7) networked to
    PC#2 set up partition 1: primary Domain server (10.20.40.
    (using routing both will have a second NIC for this task to see each other via a network hub)

TEST SCENARIO 2:
    PC#1 set up partition 2: Primary Domain server (10.10.10.7) networked to
    PC#2 set up partition 2: SUB Domain server (10.10.10.9)

again (using routing both will have a second NIC for this task to see each other via a network hub)

TEST SCENARIO 3:
    PC#1 set up partition 3: Primary Domain server (10.10.10.2) networked to
    PC#2 set up partition 3: Windows XP Workstation Client workstation (10.10.10.4)

So:
    NIC 1 and NIC 2 in both TEST PC 1 and TEST PC 2 are for the above network test purposes connected to the network hub only.

And each PC has a third NIC
    This "NIC 3" in both TEST PC 1 and TEST PC 2 will be used to connect to a firewall adsl router allowing Internet access
    there will be a gateway to the firewall adsl router on NIC 3 and the gateway will point at the adsl router as well.

My aim here is to learn / experiment with the various above network structures and at the same time access the internet for tools hints / tips and software that can help me learn.

Here are the questions and things that are not quite clear at the moment:

I think the answers are yes but I may have overlooked something and thus looking for a bit of assistance

q1. If I disable file and print sharing and any unnesscessary protocols and services on NIC3 for the internet will that allow me to keep the test network seperate from the internet network even though I want full file and print options set on the test networks NIC'S 1 & 2 in all the test network scenario's ?

q2. Provided I do not configure the zyxel firewall router to even know the test NICS 1 and 2 even exist I assume that traffic cannot be routed or try to hack or create a network flaws through the router to the test network structures.

q3.What precautions do I have to ensure so that I do not allow threats hacks or internet traffic to jump from NIC 3 onto the test network adaptors that are NIC 1 and 2

I am hoping to make it as watertight as I can yet at the same time allow the web to assist me whilst i learn.

Thanks in advance
Working...
X