Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting up and Mapping Network Drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Setting up and Mapping Network Drives

    Hi guys. Please I need your help. I’m a newbie at this so you guys bear with me.

    I have a Windows Server 2000 network, and I have to set up network drives on it. I can do it manually, but it's exhausting. Also, when I do it that way, other users can map to other users' drives, probably set permissions all wrong but I’ll fix that one.

    I was reading the forums and guys mentioned the Net Use command. Where do I run this command? I ran the gpedit.msc command, accessed the logon scripts section, typed in the name of the logon script then got stuck. There was the parameter text field, is this where I type in the Net Use command?

    I created the Shared Folder on the server, but couldn't go further than this.

    How do I create the .cmd file or .bat file? Then what do I do next?

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Edited to add..

    I created a new OU and two users on it for testing.I can access the Group Policy from Properties,and I can create a new logon script,but I don't know where the Net Use command is typed.Is it at the parameter field?I also fixed the permissions problem.

    Edited again to add..

    I managed to create a batch file,set up the thing and the two users I created can access the network drive and save to it.

    But here's the problem...The users can view each other's files!!This is a college network.I don't want the students seeing each other's work.Also,since I named the shared folder "Share",the network drive is "Share on Server..."I want it to be the user's name.

    What will i need?A vbscript?

    Cheers guys!
    Last edited by Giodino; 4th January 2008, 09:57.

  • #2
    Re: Setting up and Mapping Network Drives

    The net use command with parameters you would be required to run to map a network drive would be:

    Code:
    net use <drive letter> <\\server\\share>
    For example if you required to map a shared folder named Tools on Server1 to drive letter T:, you would be required to use the following command

    Code:
    net use T: \\Server1\Tools
    If you also required to make the mapped network drive persistent so that users may reconnect at logon you would be required to use the following command as above:

    Code:
    net use T: \\Server1\Tools /PERSISTENT:YES
    Now type the command you require to map the network drive into a text pad editor such as Notepad and save the file as a batch command (.bat extension) to a location where your users have Read & Execute permissons, for example the NETLOGON share. From your group policy object browse to User Configuration>Windows Settings>Scripts(Logon/Logoff)>Logon and select the batch file you have created using the net use command. You would then need to link the group policy object to the organisational unit where your two users are located for the logon script to be processed whether this be at the domain level or organisational unit.
    Last edited by themanwhowouldbeking; 4th January 2008, 09:59.
    MCSA 2000/2003

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Setting up and Mapping Network Drives

      thanks a lot for the reply.this is what i've done so far.

      i created the logon script using a .bat file,and copied it to SysVol>...Domain>Scripts.then i went to Administrative Users and Computers,accessed the properties of my two users and typed the profile path and the name of the logon script.All is fine so far,at least there's progress.The network drives mapped just fine,but somehow i couldn't do it using group policy,but i'm working on it.

      But then the unexpected happend.I created a couple more users,logged in with their user accounts to test.After a while i noticed that some folders were created within the Shared folder.On opening them I realised that they are user profiles.You know,in XP when you go to My Computer>Local Disk>Documents and Settings?It's exactly like that in the server.Why would this happen?User profiles on a server only creates unnecessary workload on the server.

      Guys say something!!I'm drowning here

      Originally posted by themanwhowouldbeking View Post
      The net use command with parameters you would be required to run to map a network drive would be:

      Code:
      net use <drive letter> <\\server\\share>
      For example if you required to map a shared folder named Tools on Server1 to drive letter T:, you would be required to use the following command

      Code:
      net use T: \\Server1\Tools
      If you also required to make the mapped network drive persistent so that users may reconnect at logon you would be required to use the following command as above:

      Code:
      net use T: \\Server1\Tools /PERSISTENT:YES
      Now type the command you require to map the network drive into a text pad editor such as Notepad and save the file as a batch command (.bat extension) to a location where your users have Read & Execute permissons, for example the NETLOGON share. From your group policy object browse to User Configuration>Windows Settings>Scripts(Logon/Logoff)>Logon and select the batch file you have created using the net use command. You would then need to link the group policy object to the organisational unit where your two users are located for the logon script to be processed whether this be at the domain level or organisational unit.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Setting up and Mapping Network Drives

        Hi,

        That means Users are configured to have roaming profiles.

        Just go to the user's properties and check if the same path is defined in "profile path" tab.

        If yes remove it and delete the folders from the server.

        If no that means someone has enabled roaming profile but removed it later on. Even in this case delete the profiles from servers.

        Do this and let us know if profile is still being created on the server then we might have to look for some GPOs.

        Regards,
        Last edited by kapilsharma11; 4th January 2008, 16:01.
        Kapil Sharma
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Life is too short, Enjoy It.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Setting up and Mapping Network Drives

          Oh okay.

          The profile paths are(I cut and paste):

          \\attcserver\share\jpetso
          \\attcserver\share\kmmopiemang
          \\attcserver\share\kntsatsi
          \\attcserver\share\mmpipi

          At the end of those paths are the user accounts of the users I created to test.Share is the shared folder.

          Should I remove them and have \\attcserver\share\ on all users instead?


          Originally posted by kapilsharma11 View Post
          Hi,

          That means Users are configured to have roaming profiles.

          Just go to the user's properties and check if the same path is defined in "profile path" tab.

          If yes remove it and delete the folders from the server.

          If no that means someone has enabled roaming profile but removed it later on. Even in this case delete the profiles from users.

          Do this and let us know if profile is still being cretaed on the server then we might have to look for some GPOs.

          Regards,

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Setting up and Mapping Network Drives

            Yes you should remove them.

            By default user profile is stored on the local box under "Documents and settings" folder.

            If you wanna store them on a central location then you put the UNC path under "Profile Path" attribute. Then it will store the profile on that UNC path along with a local copy.

            Regards,
            Kapil Sharma
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Life is too short, Enjoy It.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Setting up and Mapping Network Drives

              If you do not require to have roaming profiles remove the profile path within Active Directory Users and Computers. From reading this thread as I understand you only require to have a mapped network drive available to users.
              MCSA 2000/2003

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Setting up and Mapping Network Drives

                "If you do not require to have roaming profiles remove the profile path within Active Directory Users and Computers. From reading this thread as I understand you only require to have a mapped network drive available to users. "

                So i remove the profile path and leave the logon script name intact?

                I don't need roaming profiles,at least not now.

                And when i try to delete the user profiles in the Shared folder from the server I get an error message,"Cannot delete Jpetso.Access is denied.The source file amy be in use."

                Thanks guys!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Setting up and Mapping Network Drives

                  Originally posted by kapilsharma11 View Post
                  Yes you should remove them.

                  By default user profile is stored on the local box under "Documents and settings" folder.

                  If you wanna store them on a central location then you put the UNC path under "Profile Path" attribute. Then it will store the profile on that UNC path along with a local copy.

                  Regards,

                  Do you mean remove the names of the user accounts at the end of the profile path,or remove the whole profile path?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Setting up and Mapping Network Drives

                    ok guys.

                    I removed the profile paths,then went to another machine and logged in with the users' accounts and successfully deleted the user profiles.when i logged in again to see if the profiles will appear and bingo!nadda!!

                    I'm glad i'm making progress,but..

                    this is a college,and with this set up,the students are gonna see each other's work!how can i do this in such a way that the students see only their files,and not other students' files?

                    I know this will probably need advanced scripting,but just tell me anyway.I'm not one to give up,and with your help i'll see what i can do.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Setting up and Mapping Network Drives

                      Gr8 to hear that it's working now..........

                      Now your new question is related to a new topic so you should start a new thread for this......

                      Regards,
                      Kapil Sharma
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Life is too short, Enjoy It.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Setting up and Mapping Network Drives

                        User profiles on your domain controller are usually only accessible to the person whom they belong to. You can take ownership of the profile and then delete it.

                        To take ownership, right click on user's profile folder and choose properties. Go to security tab. Click on advanced button. Click on OWNER tab and add or select Administrators group as owner - then select the replace owner box and apply . Now you can delete the profile.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Setting up and Mapping Network Drives

                          Alright.I'll start another thread in a short while.

                          Thanks guys.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X