Folder Redirection on Additional DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Redirection on Additional DC

I have added a new, additional Domain Controller (Windows 2003 Std R2) to the existing Domain (Windows 2003 SBS) for a remote office connected via VPN.

The users for the remote office were created on the first DC (Windows 2003 SBS Premium). A Security Group for both offices with the respective users were created. and in the GPO on the SBS server I have specified the Folder Redirection to be Advanced, and based on Security Groups.

Group A -> \\Office1\Users\
    Group B -> \\Office2\Users\

When users in Office2 login their My Documents folder is still redirected to \\Office1\Users\%USERNAME%\My Documents\

Am I missing something?

Thank you very much for your time and help.

PaulG.

Re: Folder Redirection on Additional DC

Probably a good time to run the Group Policy Results Wizard....
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

Just wanted to make sure that users are in the respective OU/s.

Because policies do not get applied to the groups they get applied to the users in that specific OU/domain (Based on the policy location) only.

So let us know how is the exact configuration.........?

Regards,
      Kapil Sharma
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Thanks.

All users are added to the SBS OU and then each user is added to the Security Group depending on thier geo location.

PaulG.

Comment

There are two ways to achieve the same:

1. Method One:

a. Create two policies one to redirect \\office1\users and other one for \\office2\users.

b. On 1st policy deny "Apply group policy" for the group of 2nd location.

c. On 2nd policy deny "Apply group policy" for the group of 1st location.

2. Method two:

1. Create two OUs one for 1st location and second for other.

2. Put all the users in respective locations.

3. Apply seperate policy on both the OUs with respective setting.

Regards,
          Kapil Sharma
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

No, it is perfectly possible to set up folder redirection based on Security Group membership, as the OP is trying to do. This should allow one GPO to redirect users in one OU to multiple targets without the need for filtering etc.

To pgudge:
            a) Can you please run GP Result and check one of the default SBS policies isnt kicking in and beating your settings

b) Where are your policies applied at (Domain, Site, OU etc?)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian, I tried and tested the "Advanced - Specify locations for various user groups" but for some reason it never mapped the Office2 locations.

I tried the method suggested by kapilsharma11 where I have 2 GPO's, one for each office, and this is now working.

I know the above mentioned feature is designed to work, as I specfied the Office1 Security Group and used Path = \\Office1\Users and the same for Office2.

Is there any implications to running it like this? Do you highly recommend moving back to the Advanced option?

Thanks again all for your help.

PaulG.

Comment

It seems to me that the answer is to set the GPO at the site level (assuming you have a AD Site for each physical site). That way when a user logs on from Site 1 they get the Site 1 My Documents location and vice versa for clients logging in to Site 2.

Comment

Working...
                X