Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Server 2k3 to buy.

Hi,

I am starting a youth centre in our neighborhood. I am planning to put a couple of computers with Windows XP.

I want to use Windows Server 2003 on the Server.

I want to migrate my website's with the Active Directory on the Server with LDAP.

I don't know which license to buy.

Could someone help me decide?

Kind regards,
    mr.prozac

Re: Which Server 2k3 to buy.

It depends on the number of users, the features you want, and how much you have available.
    The full list of featuresis here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...s/compare.mspx

Assuming you will never need more than 75 (concurrent?) users you may want to look at Small Business Server as it includes Exchange and (for Premium), ISA Server
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would have to agree with Ossian..

A couple of XP clients.. then SBS would be the prefered choice.

I am having trouble with understanding the website migration part. What do you mean by that?

DO you mean you want an internal website that will be available to public?

Cheers..

Look before you Leap.

Comment

Since it is a youth club, I anticipate you may be a registered charity?

Don't forget that if you are a registered charity, you can get software from CTXchange which is genuinely licenced for your charity and it does not matter what version you buy, because the cost is the same. What happens is that you decide on the 6 titles you want to buy, and there is only an admin fee. So if you were to get SBS Premium edition, it would cost the same as getting SBS Standard. Or any other MS software, in fact. But be warned that there are restrictions on the number of titles and the number of purchases you can make, so I suggest you look into it bit I have just helped a charity buy SBS Premium and Office 2007 Pro all for literally TINY amounts of money. Sure, I did this in the UK so you have to check the legal stuff in your country, but MS are very helpful towards charities.
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.
        MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Paul, does this also apply to the Netherlands?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian , I do not know if the Netherlands are covered by a similar scheme
            Originally posted by PaulH View Post
            Sure, I did this in the UK so you have to check the legal stuff in your country, ...
            So maybe mr.prozac can get in touch with them:
            CTX Programme
            Charity Technology Trust
            2nd Floor
            Downstream Building
            1 London Bridge
            London
            SE1 9BG

e: [email protected]

to see if they have any advice for countries other than the UK or if they supply software outside the UK to other countries. I would be surprised if the UK is the only one to do this kind of thing, but if you are carefult to place the right order, you can get a lot of value for peanuts. Be aware, there are restrictions like "only one order per year" and only a certain number of titles too. Get advice from them and think hard before placing an order to get the most vaue out of the scheme.
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.
            MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

In the Netherlands you have such instances however I don't know for sure how there called.
              For example it's possible to buy student licenses for a fraction of the original costs.
              I think it's wise to contact other youth centers and ask them how they bought there licenses.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
              X