• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imaging server 2003r2 to different hardware

Hi,

I had the following server running Windows Server 2003r2 32-bit Standard:

HP Proliant ML350 g4
    Single 146GB SCA SCSI disk in hot-swap bay (don't laugh)
    Embedded 2 channel LSI SCSI on motherboard (no hardware RAID)

IMHO, the company that originally installed this server specced the machine out really badly. They even installed the OS onto a sinlge (+130GB) partition...

I stepped in and suggested the following additions:

HP Smart Array 641 hardware RAID controller
    2nd identical 146GB disk

I then performed the following procedures:

Installed the RAID card, leaving the disk configuration as is.
    Booted the OS and installed the RAID driver.
    Imaged the entire installation and validated the backup (twice over).

Connected the backplane to the RAID adapter.
    Installed the 2nd disk
    Created a logical disk of 130GB using the disks in RAID 1.
    Restored the image to the new logical disk array.

I then booted and the server bluescreened 10 seconds into booting (with the 2k3 logo).

I definitely have the Smartarray 641 driver installed so whats wrong?

Is there a limitation as to how large a logical drive array is when booting from one of these cards?

Please help,

gibjon

Re: Imaging server 2003r2 to different hardware

sounds like a storage driver issue, if it reboots in the windows logo.

I would get it back into the original config, back everything up properly and reinstall on the new config restoring the server setup and datd afterwards
    ________
    Stadium (cronulla)
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 17:57.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Hi Dyansy,

Thanks for your input.

I've reverted the installation back to its original hardware config and installation.

One of the problems I had was that the recovery option was set for the server to immediately reboot when it crashed, therefore I only had <1sec to read the info on the bluescreen.

That said, I can't see how its the mass storage device controller as the 641 comes up in the device manager OK. I also set the mobo bios to boot from the 641 1st so the boot.ini entry is OK too.

I also used the same driver on my win2k3 install for the 641 as I did on the bart pe disk I used for imaging with acronis trueimage- this environment can access the disk on the 641 fine.

I have a horrible feeling that the 641 can't boot from logical arrays larger than either 4gb or 8gb- do your know this to be true? I've toggled the only option in the 641's bios that affects boot volume size limits and the os booting fails using the only 2 settings.

If this really is the case I could always split the c partition using acronis disk director server (or other utility- any suggestions?). Its a lot of hassle and time but if its the only way then its the only way!

Comment

well, ask me about Dell hardware and I will probably be able to answer 99% of the questions, whether it is servers, blades, tape libraries or various kinds of storage. as for HP - I just don't know. doesn't sound likely to me though.

can you run an experiment - do a fresh install of windows on the hardware the way you want to to be configured, with F6 driver properly installed? I still think this is a windows issue
        ________
        HAWAII MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
        Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 17:57.
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Hi Dyasny,

Will do!

I'll let you know how it goes before the end of the weekend,

gibjon

Comment

When you install a HP server, it is adviced to use the HP smart start CD.
            http://h18002.www.hp.com/products/se...art/index.html
            its a bootable CD, which you have to insert prior to installing Windows.
            [Powershell]
            Start-DayDream
            Set-Location Malibu Beach
            Get-Drink
            Lay-Back
            Start-Sleep
            Wake-Up!
            Resume-Service
            Write-Warning
            [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi guys,

I found out that the 4/8GB limit is true of the Smart Array 641 RAID controller.
              I deleted a load of data off the live windows install so it was under 8gb of used space, used a partitioning tool to shrink the partition and re-imaged. It worked!

Once I got the install booted off the array on the 641, I created a 2nd partition and did a file based restore from the trueimage backup I had.

I can't believe there's such a ridiculous limitation with that raid controller.

Thanks for all your help- I just hope this thread will help someone else...

Gibjon

Comment

Considering how the hardware was speced by the previous tech, have you checked the Smart Array 641 RAID controller BIOS to see if that had been "played" with and reconfigured?

Being really bored I went and read some stats on the card and it looks like a fairly good device. I didn't see any reference to the 4/8GB limitation (but I haven't read everything) which makes me suspect it has been fiddled with. Might be worth a look if you get a chance
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

All I use is HP servers and everytime I have seen that I just pass on by without choosing one way or the other since when I get to the smartstart option where I define the partition size, I have never been limited to choosing sizes (minimum, custom, or maximum) since I have sometimes chosen the entire drive array as my "C:\" partition.

I'm thinking this is leftover from the ability to install NT4 on these boxes and having the controller actually have the perk of going with a bigger primary partition than the OS limited 4GB by choosing the 8GB option...

Comment

Hi Guys,

The raid controller was definitely not fiddled with as it was in a sealed package.
                    As I restoring an image (and not installing the OS) I did'nt use the Smartstart CD- maybe the boot partition limitation doesn't exist under that environment...
                    I agree that the 4/8gb limit is probably a throwback from the old nt4 days.

I haven't found any anything concrete but did find:

http://www.itnewsgroups.net/group/mi...topic6874.aspx

and

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hard..._22766864.html

for piccies of the raid bios with the option look at http://images.google.com.gi/imgres?i...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Thanks for all you input,

gibjon

Comment

Working...
                    X