No announcement yet.

Why does my server freeze?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my server freeze?

We have an older Windows 2000 Server that freezes occasionally, and it seems to be getting worse. When it freezes Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work. It has to be power cycled.

When the computer sits unused it does not seem to occur. Moderate use as a File and Print Server sometimes causes the freeze. But when it is really hard at work (e.g. a virus scan) it is increasingly likely to freeze up. I do not get a blue screen or errors. I cannot find anything revealing in the event logs. It just suddenly dies and has to be unplugged to restart it.

I installed a utility for routine maintenance like cleaning the registry, and I installed service pack four. But this did not change anything.

What is likely the underlying problem?

Re: Why does my server freeze?

Wow, this is a broad one.

My first thought was maybe a heat issue. Or some other hardware related issue.

Could be drivers......or just about anything else. I'm just grasping at straws here, really I have no idea without being at the machine.

If the server is filling a vital role I would get it fixed or replaced ASAP.

Best of luck!
    CCA: XenApp 5.0

Re: Why does my server freeze?

Ask a meteorologist?

Seriously, look at the things Bill mentioned,
      Also open it up and (carefully) remove all the dust (use compressed air)
      Remove and re-seat cards, connectors and RAM (very carefully)
      Since it only fails under load, it could be the processor fan is not doing its job properly -- more processor work = more heat = problems.

Could you please post some hardware specs to give us more clues,
      also see if you can get some software to pull operating temperatures off the hardware?

Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **