W2003 hardware migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2003 hardware migration

Hi I bought a new server (proliant ML310) and now i want to migrate my w2003 server to this new hardware. What steps to take ?

My current server is a w 2003 server SP2, it is the 1 and only DC in the network, it runs DNS, Exchange server, and all users have their homedirs + shared dirs for the company on it and their mailboxes (exchange with latest service pack).

My new server has already installed windows 2003R2 installed on it, and nothing else yet...

What steps (and in wich order) do i take to migrate the DC, AD, Homedirs and exchange-mailsystem+ mailboxes to this new server, in that way that the users won't notice anything...... ???

Thanks in advance !!!!!

Re: W2003 hardware migration

What's happening to the old box?

If I were you I would do what I can to separate the DC and Exchange roles. As far as hosting shares I guess that's up to you.

This is what I would do. First off, get a second DC up in your environment ASAP. Place it offsite if you can. If you can't put it offsite make sure you're getting good backups of your DC's that include the System State. If they need to stay in the same area maybe you could install the DC in VMware on the new server.

As far as Exchange goes, I would add the new server as a member server to your domain and then install exchange on it. Once the new exchange server is added to your exchange org I would start moving mailboxes over to it gracefully. Best to move the mailboxes off hours. Once I know for sure that the new exchange server is up and functioning properly I would remove exchange from the old server.

If you can keep the old server I would do so. At least leave it as a DC.

Of course this is just my opinion and I really know almost nothing about your environment. So, proceed with any of my advice at your own risk .
    CCA: XenApp 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by bill_sffcu View Post
      What's happening to the old box?

If I were you I would do what I can to separate the DC and Exchange roles. As far as hosting shares I guess that's up to you.

This is what I would do. First off, get a second DC up in your environment ASAP. Place it offsite if you can. If you can't put it offsite make sure you're getting good backups of your DC's that include the System State. If they need to stay in the same area maybe you could install the DC in VMware on the new server.

As far as Exchange goes, I would add the new server as a member server to your domain and then install exchange on it. Once the new exchange server is added to your exchange org I would start moving mailboxes over to it gracefully. Best to move the mailboxes off hours. Once I know for sure that the new exchange server is up and functioning properly I would remove exchange from the old server.

If you can keep the old server I would do so. At least leave it as a DC.

Of course this is just my opinion and I really know almost nothing about your environment. So, proceed with any of my advice at your own risk .
      The old box needs to be replaced, its old.

So if I make the new box also a DC, how do i transfer the homedirs of the users to my new box? and in what part of the whole process do i do that ? And what tool do I have to use for that ?

Comment

Far be it from me to tell you what you need. But, if I were in your positions I would certainly need a second DC. If your "old" box is currently handling everything, then I'm sure it can certainly handle the relatively lite task of being a DC.

As far as home folders, I'm really not sure how to best go about that. I've never moved HF's before.
        always helps me....
        CCA: XenApp 5.0

Comment

Hi,

if you have a similar hardware, you can move current server to the new box and install new OS on the old box
          With best regards, Victor

Comment

If you wanted, you could use a technique, known as Swing Migration. It's not just for SBS but any single domainwith a single server.
            The problem as I see it, is that you users are used to and have home folders (HF's) on say \\server1\userA. Everyone advising you here has been telling you to set up a new server and leave the old one. The problem with that is, you will now have to update all your users HF's \\server2\userA etc.
            Swing Migration technique can allow you to replace the old hardware with new Hardware and maintain the server and domain names. That way your users will still see \\server1\userA as their HF.
            You will need time to learn the technique, some spare hardware and $150-200 to buy the migration kit. However it pales in to insignificance if it saves you visiting each workstation for an average of 1/2 an hour. Do the maths yourself - you don't say how many stations you have.
            Oh and if you do want to stay on one server and have less than 75 users, you may consider doing a REAL upgrade and returning your Windows Server 2003 for SBS
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X