Reset ownership to original user

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reset ownership to original user

I have a Win2K domain. Each user is setup with a roaming profile and folder redirection which directs the mydocs folder to the file server. Somehow or another, the administrator account took ownership of most of our user profiles and now I'm getting these errors in application log:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Folder Redirection
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 101
    Date: 12/17/2004
    Time: 10:41:40 AM
    User: EMJCORP\smccoy
    Computer: EMJCTRX1
    Description:
    Failed to perform redirection of folder Application Data. The new directories for the redirected folder could not be created. The folder is configured to be redirected to \\emjdc\users\%username%\windows, the final expanded path was \\emjdc\users\smccoy\windows. The following error occurred:
    This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1000
    Date: 12/17/2004
    Time: 10:41:41 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: EMJCTRX1
    Description:
    The Group Policy client-side extension Folder Redirection was passed flags (0) and returned a failure status code of (1307).

I have determined that recreating the user profile has reset the owner to the profile's user, but I have about 50 users who need this reset. Is there any way to reset ownership to the original user and not the administrator? I've already looked at KB320046 about the file ownership script tool, but don't have Reskit Supplement 1. Is there another way short of recreating all these user profiles again?

Does this help?

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBL/tip5600/rh5644.htm

As for the file itself, I don't think you can d/l it freely on the web.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Yeah, I've already seen that article, but I don't have the tool it calls for. Is there not a command-line switch or something to reset the owner on those folders?

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Comment

reset ownership

Here is what you need. subinacl.exe Create a .bat file to run this, like this:

subinacl /subdirectories e:\data\homedirs\folder1 /setowner=domain\administrator
        subinacl /subdirectories e:\data\homedirs\folder1\*.* /setowner=domain\administrator

Repeat this for each folder. The setowner is the KEY that you are looking for.

I am surprised that this created the probem. I have My Documents redirected and have had to use this to open permissions on some of them, ran like above, and they still work.... sure not something else?

you can download the file from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

This will help

Wtdrisco

Comment

Working...
        X