No announcement yet.

Automate User Folder Creation

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automate User Folder Creation

Is there a way to automate user folder creation? I remember someone told me that there is a way to set this up but I am not sure on how to do it. The process creates a new user folder upon login of a new account where My Documents, Desktop, and Favorites get redirected to the user folder. Please help.

Re: Automate User Folder Creation

the following KB will inform you on how to create folders with the proper permissions using ADUC or the cmd line.

using the '%username%' variable will allow you to include the commands in a batch file, and will automatically generate a folder with the users logon name if it isnt present.

the second part of your questions is a different subject, and is called 'folder redirection.' here is an KB on this subject. in addition, look at the article here about the same subject...

simple folder redirection walk-thru:

here are some best-practice/recommendations:
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

I will give this a shot. Thank you very much for your help.

The Folder Creation part (not the redirection) is easily done in ADUC by multiple selecting the desired users /properties/profile tab.
        Then in the home folder part, you use the likes of:

and the folders will be created under the "users" share (which you have already created) on the server and with the correct permissions.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.