No announcement yet.

Phantom DNS entry

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom DNS entry

I'm in the process of migrating to Exchange 2007 from 2003. I'm attempting to publish Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTP) using ISA 2006. When monitoring the traffic on ISA, I get a Service Unavailable error. I did a nslookup on and recieved the FQDN of my 2003 Exchange server.
    I can't find where it is coming from. The domain is at 2003 functional level. The 2003 Exchange server is also the domain controller hosting DNS, Wins, DHCP, Active Directory, and it is also my Certificate Authority that I used to generate the certificates for both mail servers with the same public name of

I have replaced the Cert on the old server with a generic one, created by the Replace Cert wizard. I've looked through DNS and can't find anything connecting to the old server. I had an entry in the host file on the ISA machine that mapped to the old server, but I replaced it with the 2007 IP address, and rebooted it. I have flushed the DNS cache on the DC and the ISA server, yet I still get the FQDN of the 2003 server followed by the IP of the 2007 server. (separate listings)

Where is it coming from? Is it in AD somewhere? If so, how do I get rid of it?

Re: Phantom DNS entry

You don't happen to have it in your HOSTS file do you??

No, I did previously but I changed it to the new server.
      I use the Hosts file from and modify it whenever a new one comes out.
      It's really big. Is it possible that it has gotten so big that the server is just ignoring it now and has the old entry stored somewhere else?

Why not use a blank HOSTS file??