Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block Web sites using GPO

Hi ,

I am having windows 2003 server , GPO is implemented for password policy settings..now i want to implement new security e.g web sites blocking ..so is it possible using Group policy ..i am not having a third party firewall ..or not having ISA even ..
    Please help ...

Kathy

Re: Block Web sites using GPO

Hi ,

Can anyone elaborate more on this....

Kathy

Comment

Hi,
      I'm not aware that web filtering can be done through group policy.

The basic setup that I would recommend is using ISA server,
      or from free platforms use something like Linux based DansGuardian which is very useful.

Comment

Hi,

You can not do it using GPOs as there is not any effective way to block some web sites.

Regards,
        Kapil Sharma
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

My advice is placing a proper firewall like i mentioned it earlier in an other topic.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I face the same problem before
            you can downlaod .adm file of IE
            and add sites you like to block at the restircted site by GPO
            i think it should work, users can't detete it for reatricted sites
            infact i try this method and it success to block sites, but some users can bypass it

any way try it and tell us results

Comment

You could possibly put the restricted sites in a HOSTS file which redirects them to a site in your internal domain. There they would get a custom web page explaining they were not allowed to visit such a site.
              However, you still need a mechanism to deliver the HOSTS file and a part-savvy user could bypass it!
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                You could possibly put the restricted sites in a HOSTS file which redirects them to a site in your internal domain. There they would get a custom web page explaining they were not allowed to visit such a site.
                However, you still need a mechanism to deliver the HOSTS file and a part-savvy user could bypass it!
                Expanding on this, you could deliver the HOSTS file via a startup script, just have the 'main' list hosted on a server share; and then have it copy over in the startup script. That way at least you only have one list that you have to update

In terms of access, block users from accessing the windows\system32 folder and that will solve the the bypass issues

Other than that there is no real way to 'block' sites via GPO. You can add such sites to the 'restricted sites' tab in IE via GPO, but this does not 'block' access outright, it only disables *harmful content*

Invest in ISA server. You can integrate access rules with active directory. You can specify global whitelists/blacklists or block certain content type (ie flash games and movies). You can also easily monitor and report on traffic use also

Comment

Hi ,

Can you please elaborate blocking process via GPO .

Thanks ,

Kathy

Comment

Working...
                  X