No Zone on New DC...?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Zone on New DC...?

Hi there...

Just followed the instructions at

The only thing that seemed a little ambiguous in that article was whether to point the DNS setting to the AD's current DNS server, or to itself. I chose to piont to the current AD DNS server.

Seemed to go really well. But when I went to check the DNS for the new entries in zone, the zone isn't even there.

There was an entry in the DNS log that says

The DNS added the local Active Directory to the replication scope of Application Directory Partition DomainDnsZones.example.dns. The distinguished name of the root of this Directory Partition is DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=example,DC=dns.

But after much time (several hours) and several reboots, I still don't see the zone having replicated. Is this normal, or am I going to have to demote and re-promote this ?

Re: No Zone on New DC...?

The primary DNS server should be iteself ( and the secondary should be another DNS server in the domain.

The zone should have replicated by now. Try doing it manually from the DNS admin console. It that still fails check the event log again for any error messages and then try running dcdiag and netdiag and see if there are any DNS related issues.

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **