Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Create User is not the owner of the file

Hello There,

I have a windows 2003 AD domain. I have a user who is a domain user, no special privileges. When they create a file in their folder they do not have file ownership.

I was expecting the username to be the owner of the file but it is always administrators. I would like user files to have the ownership of the user or is this a default setting and if so how can it be changed.

Thanks

Chbardt

Re: File Create User is not the owner of the file

When they create a file in their folder they do not have file ownership.
    when they create a file where? on a file server or their documents? i am assuming this is a network share...

so the user creates a document (doc1.txt)

when you right-click doc1.txt and select properties, then click the "security" tab, then click the "advanced" button...

then select the "owner" tab...

what does it say underneath the "Current owner of this item:"

does it read:
    Code:
    Current owner of this item:
    Administrators (<name_of_sever>\Administrators)
    if so, then thats how the permissions are set on that folder.

you can test this theory...

create a text document on the desktop of this user. go into the properties and find the owner of the item. if it isnt the user, make it the user by selecting them and click apply.
    now copy the document to the share in question. after the document is copied there, go check the properties again and see who the owner is now...
    if its reverted back to the admin, its the share taking ownership (well, the admin anyways, not the share itself...)
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Re: File Create User is not the owner of the file

Thanks James,

That was it.

Comment

Working...
      X