No announcement yet.

SP2, slipstream; requesting clarification.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP2, slipstream; requesting clarification.

I have questions that arise from the following passage in slipstreaming article :

"After installing SP4 (or any other Windows 2000 or XP SP) on your computer you do NOT have to re-apply it if you choose to remove and reinstall a system component.

"But whenever you want to install or reinstall a new system component or you will be prompted for both the original Windows 2000/XP i386 folder and the current Service Pack i386 folder, because the operating system "knows" it should be looking for the required files in both locations. Sometimes this can be a pain because you don't always remember to keep both folders accessible on your local computer of network LAN.

"That's why you'd want to update the original i386 files with the latest SP files...."

1) I am unclear about the various folders involved in the passage:
    their locations and contents before and after installations of service pack.

2) Is the passage posing a contrast between SOURCES of service pack installation:
    standard source vs slipstreamed source?

When you install an SP on your system you update your system files. However by doing this you did not update your original i386 folder (found on the original installation CD). Therefore, if you later decide to add a system component (such as IIS or other) your system will need to find the right files for the installation to take place. It "knows" that it should use a newer version of the files, therefore it will ask you for the original i386 folder, but in most cases will also require the newe updated files from the SP source.

If you have both the original i386 and the new SP files on your local computer or elsewhere on a network share, then you can always point the system to the right location. However if, after installing the SP on your system, you deleted the SP files from the local source or network share, then whenever you try to install a new component, you won't be able to point the system to the SP path, simply because you no longer have it available.

You can keep both folders, but a better method is to update the original i386 folder with the new SP files, in a process called "Slipstreaming". Remember you should do this to all the i386 folders on all computers, or, if you keep only one i386 source on a network share, then just update that source.

Things could get more complicated if you still have many non-SP clients that still require the original i386 source, therefore you'll still need to keep the original i386 folder just in case.

That's why you should always keep the SP level at the same SP number all accross your corporate network, not to mention the security and patch issues that might arrise if you don't do that.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services