Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I demote Win 2000 DC with Exchange 2000 present?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I demote Win 2000 DC with Exchange 2000 present?

My first post and I need an answer to what seems to be a simple question:

I have an old Windows 2000 Server that is a DC in a mixed DC (one Win2000 DC and one Win2003 DC). I want to get rid of the DC function on the Windows/Exchange 2000 server. Can I just demote the Win 2000 DC and it not affect the use of Exchange 2000 running on that server??? Seems like a simple question but cannot find a definite answer.

End result is I want to keep using Exchange 2000 on the Win 2000 server but not let it be a DC anymore. Any steps to do other than just demoting it???

I do have a third server I just added to the Domain (as a member server) which is a new Win 2003 Enterprise server. It is not a DC yet, I want to convert the Domain to a non-Mixed Domain first before making the new server a DC.

Thanks for any help you can give.

GA

Re: Can I demote Win 2000 DC with Exchange 2000 present?

No, once you install Exchange on a DC, you cannot demote.

Comment

I don't see why it wouldn't work but it seems the above guy knows.
      The answer then for me would be to install exchange on the 2003 server. Move the mailboxes, public folders, offline address book etc etc. Uninstall exchange on the 2000 machine. DCPROMO and remove the DC role from it. Reinstall Exchange move all the data back again. Uninstall from the 2k3 machine.
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Is the reason I cannot demote it because the Exchange information store cannot be accessed by the users if the server is demoted? Or will DCPROMO not allow me to even try it??? What is the best alternative since I don't want to change the Exchange 2000 setup at the moment. Upgrading Exchange will happen but was hoping I could hold off until the end.

I also am adding a Windows 2003 Enterprise server to the domain. Perhaps I should just go ahead and add that first and leave the Exchange server alone for now???

Any advice would be appreciated.

GA

Comment

http://blogs.brnets.com/michael/arch...01/24/319.aspx

Your best option is as I suggested.
          Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

]SK[,

Thanks for the link. It is to the point and informative. I will look into it further.

Cheers.

GA

Comment

Working...
            X