Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 Hardware Upgrade - Looking for suggestions

Hello,
    I am an IT volunteer in Ghana, West Africa. My experience with Windows Server 2003 is limited. Our current server machine is very inadequate. It was put in place as a temporary solution, but now it is time to upgrade. I have a new machine. It is still not 'server-grade', but it is a big improvement.

So, I am searching for some upgrade approaches. I have a couple ideas and am looking for guidance from someone who has done this before.

Information about the current server (very simple):
    • 25-30 users setup in AD
    • DNS server is configured and running
    • DHCP server is configured and running
    • File server is being used
    • IIS is configured and running (FTP server and Web server) but not used
    • Connects to internet via DSL modem and acts as a router for the clients. In other words, there are two network connections, one to DSL modem (USB), and one to LAN.

My option 1:
    1. Add new machine as secondary domain controller on the current domain.
    2. The AD will be copied automatically.
    3. Manually copy the data (user folders, group folders, etc.).
    4. On the weekend, simply take the old server offline and make the new server the primary domain controller.

My option 2:
    1. Setup new machine on a brand new domain.
    2. Copy AD users in manually or figure out how to use the command line utilities
    3. Manually copy the data (user folders, group folders, etc.).
    4. Bring the new domain online
    5. On the weekend, change each client machine so that it becomes a member of the new domain.

Any suggestions are very welcome. I am sure there is some documentation on this process somewhere, but I could not find it.

Thanks very much!

Re: Server 2003 Hardware Upgrade - Looking for suggestions

I would go with option one; but REMEMBER! Make the new server a Global Catalog, and there are FSMO Roles to transfer to the new server before you power off the old one for ever. Also, make sure you remember to make the new server a DNS server - is your DNS Zone AD Integrated? If not, make the new server a "Secondary" for the zone and make it the primary later... if the zone is AD integrated make sure that replication has occurred before you power off.

See this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324801 for how to do the FSMO roles.

The reason I suggest option one is simply for simplicity - no need to build a new domain.
    Last edited by Stonelaughter; 4th December 2007, 14:55.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

p.s. if you're not using IIS, get rid of it - it's a HUGE security risk to run it in the default configuration for no reason.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Hi,

Since it's a small setup. I would always prefer to go for the first option.

Regards,
        Kapil Sharma
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Working...
        X