Windows 2000 Server with Dynamic Ext IP Address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 Server with Dynamic Ext IP Address

I want to setup a windows 2000 server domain controller behind a Cisco 1760 router with a ADSL PPPoE Internet connection which has a dynamic external IP address. My LAN has subnet 192.168.1.1/24. If I for example register on www.dyndns.com domain name mywin2kserver.com with customsDNS, do I need to change the installation and configuration procedure for DCPROMO in reference to having a static external IP address. The idea is to be able to login the domain controller from the Internet as well. It seems somehow that when I follow the regular procedure to setup the domain controller I can not login properly with WXP Pro.

Thx
    MKJ

Re: Windows 2000 Server with Dynamic Ext IP Address

Originally posted by mkj View Post
    I want to setup a windows 2000 server domain controller behind a Cisco 1760 router with a ADSL PPPoE Internet connection which has a dynamic external IP address. My LAN has subnet 192.168.1.1/24. If I for example register on www.dyndns.com domain name mywin2kserver.com with customsDNS, do I need to change the installation and configuration procedure for DCPROMO in reference to having a static external IP address. The idea is to be able to login the domain controller from the Internet as well. It seems somehow that when I follow the regular procedure to setup the domain controller I can not login properly with WXP Pro.

Thx
    MKJ
    Have you already made your Domain using DCPROMO?

Andre

Comment

Yes, I regsitered the domain name at dyndns, installed windows 2000 server and installed the domain controller.

Comment

Originally posted by mkj View Post
        Yes, I regsitered the domain name at dyndns, installed windows 2000 server and installed the domain controller.
        I suspect all you want to do now is make static dns enteries in your dns server for your static ip.

Andre

Comment

so when I have registered a domain name, there are no zones or resource records that I need to set up in the domain name registrar control panel in order to get windows 2000 server running as a domain controller

Thx

Comment

No you don't need your internal DNS/Domain Name to be the same as an external one. Best practises tell you to use a non-internet one, EG domain.local domain.ds etc etc
            Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Working...
            X