Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 2003 Server OR Windows XP Problem ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 Server OR Windows XP Problem ?

Hi all.
    I'm quite new to these sever stuffs.
    please show me directions.
    Few day's back, I set up windows 2003 server as a DC and all the clients were windows XP.
    since the only PC that had CD-ROM was the one with windows 2003 server.
    I just shared the CD-ROM and installed MS-OFFICE in all windows xp logged on as administrator. ( sorry i have no idea installing programs with gpo).
    and everything was fine, but when i logged on as a normal user on all xp PC's it again started as if doing installation of MS-OFFICE and gave me message access denied message.
    What might be the cause ?? i successfully installed office and there's no problem with admin's account. Only the normal users are denied access.
    Now where do i configure the permission ?? In server or client ?
    Thankyou very much.

Re: Windows 2003 Server OR Windows XP Problem ?

Originally posted by omiz View Post
    Hi all.
    I'm quite new to these sever stuffs.
    please show me directions.
    Few day's back, I set up windows 2003 server as a DC and all the clients were windows XP.
    since the only PC that had CD-ROM was the one with windows 2003 server.
    I just shared the CD-ROM and installed MS-OFFICE in all windows xp logged on as administrator. ( sorry i have no idea installing programs with gpo).
    and everything was fine, but when i logged on as a normal user on all xp PC's it again started as if doing installation of MS-OFFICE and gave me message access denied message.
    What might be the cause ?? i successfully installed office and there's no problem with admin's account. Only the normal users are denied access.
    Now where do i configure the permission ?? In server or client ?
    Thankyou very much.
    What Version of MS Office?
    Some older versions had issues like this, but it's been a while since I came across this. Off the top of my head, I think (!!!) the issue is with permissions on the xp clients, and I think it is in the registry. You can run the tools regmon.exe and filemon.exe to confirm this. Or trial and error... I would open up the permissions on the hklm msoffice kay and test. If that dont work, modify the permissions on the file folder for ms office.

To modify registry permissions, you once again (see other post) run regedt32, find the ms office key, hklm\software\microsoft\office right click and select permissions, grant everyone full access

To modify File permissions, find the folder. like c:\program file\microsoft office, right click it, properties, security, then modify the permission, add everyone as full.

If you dont see the security tab, you have to enable it. If this is a domain machine, it should be enable, but if not follow instructions at http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Note: you can replace the everyone with domain users. adding everyone can be risky if you dont have a firewall.

You can achive all of this using group policies's, install the console on your server and Read the Manual. There are lot's of things you can do with group policies. The console can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en (Note: 32bit system only, no console for 64bit OS)

Cheers

Andre
    The IT Guys Ltd.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      What Version of MS Office?
      Some older versions had issues like this, but it's been a while since I came across this. Off the top of my head, I think (!!!) the issue is with permissions on the xp clients, and I think it is in the registry. You can run the tools regmon.exe and filemon.exe to confirm this. Or trial and error... I would open up the permissions on the hklm msoffice kay and test. If that dont work, modify the permissions on the file folder for ms office.

To modify registry permissions, you once again (see other post) run regedt32, find the ms office key, hklm\software\microsoft\office right click and select permissions, grant everyone full access

To modify File permissions, find the folder. like c:\program file\microsoft office, right click it, properties, security, then modify the permission, add everyone as full.

If you dont see the security tab, you have to enable it. If this is a domain machine, it should be enable, but if not follow instructions at http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Note: you can replace the everyone with domain users. adding everyone can be risky if you dont have a firewall.

You can achive all of this using group policies's, install the console on your server and Read the Manual. There are lot's of things you can do with group policies. The console can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en (Note: 32bit system only, no console for 64bit OS)

Cheers

Andre
      The IT Guys Ltd.
      I'm Using Windows XP service Pack2, Windows 2003 Server without SP, and Office 2003 without service packs.
      yes i think modifying the permission, add everyone as full on c:\program files\office folder is indeed not a good idea. (i'm sure this will work)
      Also checking with regmon and filemon is not possible.(it's really headache monitoring all those file informations,also i'm not 100% sure this will help)

this is the lame act i did
      i put the normal user to administrator group and re-installed office 2003 on all computer and after installation i removed the user from administrator group.
      this worked for me. But I'm sure this ain't the right way to do.
      Thanks in advance for any better suggestions

Thanks [email protected]
      i didn't knew till today that we can assign permissions on registry key's on windows xp.

Comment

Not a good idea giving Full Control permissions on files and folders. Better to set the permissions to Modify and NOT Full Control.

Omiz, if you want to get up to speed very quickly with 2003 Server, Train Signal's Labs are excellent for this purpose. http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...on=Custom&ID=8 The Active Directory Labs will have you using AD & GPOs quickly and allow you to get your head around this powerful tool in next to no time.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm Using Windows XP service Pack2, Windows 2003 Server without SP, and Office 2003 without service packs.
          yes i think modifying the permission, add everyone as full on c:\program files\office folder is indeed not a good idea. (i'm sure this will work)
          Also checking with regmon and filemon is not possible.(it's really headache monitoring all those file informations,also i'm not 100% sure this will help)

i put the normal user to administrator group and re-installed office 2003 on all computer and after installation i removed the user from administrator group.

Thanks [email protected]
          i didn't knew till today that we can assign permissions on registry key's on windows xp.
          If you used Group Policies, you could grant the permissions you need, then removed them after the clients are setup with office. This process would not take long to achive, and probably a lesser headache.

Myself, I would never use Everyone in a production enviroment, but only for testing.

Andre

Comment

Thanks [email protected]
            Also, I bet there is a MS Office patch to fix this. You should consider loading up Windows Server Update Service 3.0 on your server. This will allow you to control Microsoft updates to your server and clients (including Office Updates). You will need to use Group Polices to configure clients.

Andre

Comment

I think it's far simpler than all that. I think that the share which contains the install files is locked down to Administrators only and as Office 2003 has "Per User" settings stored in the User hive of the registry, each user needs to run the parts of the install which modify the registry. It's failing because they have no access to the server's CD-ROM share.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                I think it's far simpler than all that. I think that the share which contains the install files is locked down to Administrators only and as Office 2003 has "Per User" settings stored in the User hive of the registry, each user needs to run the parts of the install which modify the registry. It's failing because they have no access to the server's CD-ROM share.
                oh yes you are right. I agree with you.

but what is the resolution ?

Comment

Either give the users "Full Control" share permissions when you share out the CD-ROM drive, or even better, put the contents of the CD-ROM drive onto a share on the server, give users read and execute NTFS and full control share permissions, map a drive to it with a standard drive letter and use the drive letter to install the software. Then when users log in, map the drive to the same drive letter in the login script.
                  Last edited by Stonelaughter; 3rd December 2007, 01:04.

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

How to restrict domain users installing softwares?

In my windows 2003 server domain, normal domain users can not install softwares,but recently i found they installed some softwares,any body know how to stop this?

Comment

Working...
                    X