File Server Migration Wizard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Server Migration Wizard

I'm looking to move some files/folders from one server to another without losing permissions (Windows 2000 to 2003). I came accross the File Server Migration Wizard from Microsoft which should do what I need to do. The setup seems pretty simple.

Has anyone had any experience using it? Is there anything else I should look into before I proceed?
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Re: File Server Migration Wizard

Also take a look at Robocopy:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...litySpotlight/

You can't get any easier to use than this

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Which switches do you recommend using? I want to make sure that all NTFS permissions stay intact. Also I want to make sure we merely do a copy, instead of an all out move.

Comment

DATSOU or COPYALL, I believe.

Comment

Hey guys,

I completed this migration a few weeks ago. I ended up using NTBACKUP and clicked the settings to backup my security settings. This worked perfectly.

I backed up to a large external hard drive. Moved the hard drive to the new server, then performed the restore. All security settings were intact. I reshared the data and modified my script.

Thanks for the ideas.

Comment

boondock,

glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting back!

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X