Rename Domain Administrator Account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rename Domain Administrator Account

I want to rename my domain Administrator account for security purposes. I have a Window 2003 domain with 2 domain controllers that are are fully patched and in good working order.

I do not believe that I have any specific jobs running on any server that require the current account name of "Administrator". I do have an Exchange 2003 server that will occasionally send an email message using the Administrator account as the "from" address.

Does the domain Administrator account have to have Exchange attributes and an email address for Exchange to work correctly?

Is there anything else that I need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance,

Bob Seeds

Re: Rename Domain Administrator Account

Originally posted by RSeeds View Post
    I do not believe that I have any specific jobs running on any server that require the current account name of "Administrator".
    well, you will find out quickly if you do. i had some SQl services running as admin on a a box, and when i changed the admin passwd, the services failed to start, as well as the jury+ application...

I do have an Exchange 2003 server that will occasionally send an email message using the Administrator account as the "from" address.

Does the domain Administrator account have to have Exchange attributes and an email address for Exchange to work correctly?
    no. you dont have to send the messages to anyone. i got tired of them and sent them to [email protected]...
    Is there anything else that I need to watch out for?
    yes. watch out for people that want to borrow things like a laptop or large amounts of cash...
    other than that your good to go. in addition to the domain admin accounts, its also i good idea to do the same for the local admin accounts. alot of people make them the same...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Re: Rename Domain Administrator Account

You can use Psloggedon.exe to find out on what all the machines this ID has been configured.

Download the same here:
      http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sloggedon.mspx

psservice.exe is also a utility to check what all the services are using the same. It is also downloadable from the same link.

Regards,
      Kapil Sharma
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Working...
      X