Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File server migration

Hi all,
    Perhaps one of you can help with this. I have two old file servers that have Server 2003 and about 600GB of data on each, both in the same domain. I have built a new server with 2003 R2 and lots of disk and I need to move all the data from the two old servers to the new one also in the same domain.
    As we have always added users to global groups, added global to local groups and then assigned permissions to the local groups, can someone twll me how I can migrate all the data and local groups? I know the local groups will have new names (oldserver\group to newserver\group). I tried the "File server migration tool" but it doesn't bring the groups with the files.

Thanks,
    Eoin
    Thanks,

Eoin

Re: File server migration

Are you looking for a tool which also migrates the NTFS permissions?
    If yes: Robocopy is the tool you're looking for.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi there,
      No, what I need is a tool that will copy/move the local groups on the server so I can use them on the new server. I.E. a local group \\oldserver\DBadmins containing the Global group DBadmins will be moved to the new server called \\newserver\DBadmins and still contain the DBadmins global group.
      I tried the MS File Server Migration tool, but it doesn't do the job. (Glad I tested first!)
      Thanks,

Eoin

Comment

We use Doubletake from NSI software. It has a feature to "replicate permissions by name". This will replicate the local security groups from one server to another. We don't use this feature but it may be worth a look on your part. The licensing cost is about $3,000.00 per server, so it's a little pricy.

Comment

Ok, cheers Joe I'll check them out. A bit pricey for a one off though!
          Thanks,

Eoin

Comment

True, it is expensive but you could look into it to provide realtime data replication and failover capability.

Comment

I used a tool called Secure Copy 4.1

Is an amazing tool...

Is very cheap...

And you can get a trial...

http://www.scriptlogic.com/products/SecureCopy/
              When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

My friend,

Why r u adding global groups of domain to Local groups of the server ? even though u are having single domain structure. This concept is useful in multiple domain structure.
                U r applying funda of AGLP. AGLP is Add GLobal Group to Local Group and give Permission.

If u are having the single domain then U can add users to Domain Global Group and add that Global group to the particular share (Folder Security Tab). But you have to remove Everyone access permission of that folder.

I have a better solution for this but you have to take down time for one particular server.
                Disjoin One of the Old Server from Domain. Rename that server and change the IP Address. Give the hostname of the Old Renamed Server to New Server with Same IP. Add the New Server to the domain. Make a share as it was there in old server. Give the Permissions to the folder according to users/groups. Copy all the data from old Server to New Server with ROBOCOPY Utility. This command copies the data with its access rights.

I have done this for nearly data of 1 TB. No problem occurred. As in our setup it
                was against Policy to use Sharewares. So I used ROBOCOPY, which is free.

Then you can copy the data of another server. But for other server you have to change the mappings of all the clients who uses it.

If any query, Get back to me.
                From,
                Amit
                [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by Amit
                  Why r u adding global groups of domain to Local groups of the server ? even though u are having single domain structure. This concept is useful in multiple domain structure.
                  U r applying funda of AGLP. AGLP is Add GLobal Group to Local Group and give Permission.

If u are having the single domain then U can add users to Domain Global Group and add that Global group to the particular share (Folder Security Tab). But you have to remove Everyone access permission of that folder.
                  Amit that is poor advice in my opinion.

I would advise to use the Microsoft preferred way of group utilisation EVERY TIME because organisations do NOT remain static and a single domain today might be a 40-domain multi-forest environment tomorrow.

ALWAYS use DOMAIN LOCAL groups to grant permissions, make GLOBAL GROUPS members of the domain local groups, and put USERS in the GLOBAL groups. You can add a stage in that you can make DOMAIN LOCAL groups members of the server local group and use the server local group to grant permissions however this stage is unnecessary complexity.

All you have to do when more domains come along is use Universal Groups to propagate permissions and rights across domains in the forest.

Also, disjoining the orginal server from the domain will make all the domain-based ACLs for files and folders invalid; I have no idea whether these will work when ROBOCOPIED to a domain member server. I would advise simply renaming the old file server and NOT disjoining - then following the ROBOCOPY advice you gave.
                  Last edited by Stonelaughter; 29th November 2007, 10:30.

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Guys,
                    The reason why we have local groups that need to be migrated is that they used to be NT 4.0 servers and were upgraded (before my time).
                    I have since found a tool from Net IQ that will do the job nicely.
                    Thanks for all the tips.
                    Thanks,

Eoin

Comment

Working...
                    X