Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help me with setting up DNS on my Server 2003

Hi,

Im really have troubles setting up a DNS server on my server 2003. I have already set up AD, and for some reason i cant setup DNS.

I have setup up DHCP on my Server 2003, and it seems to be working fine.

I have followed various guides, including from microsoft, but my client cant seem to see the DNS server on my server 2003.

I have a billion router, and for the time being that is acting as my DNS server.

Here are some more details:

machine name: server-2
    DNS: domain2.com
    name server: server-2.domain2.com
    ip address: 192.168.1.3
    default gateway: 192.168.1.254 ( router address)
    dns server: 192.168.1.254 ( router address)

My client machine details are:

machine name: xp1
    ip add: 192.168.1.7
    default gateway: 192.168.1.254 ( router address)
    dns server: 192.168.1.254 ( router address)

My client has already been recognized by my server 2003, and its been added to AD. Thats not a problem.

Now, i know that i have to setup a forward as well as a reverse lookup zone, but when i try to put my server 2003 machine's ip add into my client's machine for dns, it doesn't seem to recognize it.

So for the time being, im using my router as my DNS, which has the ISP's DNS in it.

Can someone please help/guide me to setup DNS properly, and to be honest, im getting really frustrated.

Is it possible to start all over again, i.e completely remove the current DNS and its files, and start from scratch?

Any help would be great.

Re: Please Help me with setting up DNS on my Server 2003

Client and server should have DNS addresses of 192.168.1.3

In DNS on your server, go to properties and to the forwarders tab, then add the DNS addresses of your ISP's DNS servers
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have set up the server DNS server as 192.168.1.3, and forwarded to my ISP's DNS server.

When i launch nslookup, this is what i get:

DNS request timed out.
      timeout was 2 seconds.
      *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.3: Timed out
      Default Server: UnKnown
      Address: 192.168.1.3

Whats the problem?

Comment

Ok, i got the DNS working, but now i cant figure out, why my client machine i.e XP cant access the internet.

I have configured the DNS server of my client machine to the IP address of my server.

I still cant access internet on my client, but i can access the net on my server.

Also, i can only access the net if i put in my default gateway address ( i.e address of my router).

On the other hand, my server DNS address is my server's IP address.

Do i have to put the default gateway in my client machine as well i.e 192.168.1.254 to access the internet on my client machine?

Thanks

Comment

Yes:
          Both machines should be set up as:
          IP: both 192.168.1.xxx (different xxx for each)
          Subnet: 255.255.255.0
          DNS: Server IP address
          Gateway: 192.168.1.254
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Yes:
            Both machines should be set up as:
            IP: both 192.168.1.xxx (different xxx for each)
            Subnet: 255.255.255.0
            DNS: Server IP address
            Gateway: 192.168.1.254
            Hey, thanks.

Also say if i got a DHCP server, and i want my clients to get IP addresses automatically from the DHCP server and access the internet, is there something else that needs to be done?

My DHCP server is up and running, but for some reason can get my clients to access it and get an ip address from it.

Once again, thanks.

Comment

With two machines, I would concentrate on getting them networked and talking, then worry about DHCP later...
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by nitrous View Post
                Hey, thanks.

Also say if i got a DHCP server, and i want my clients to get IP addresses automatically from the DHCP server and access the internet, is there something else that needs to be done?

My DHCP server is up and running, but for some reason can get my clients to access it and get an ip address from it.

Once again, thanks.
                DHCP might need Acticated on the server.

If you want a crash course on AD, DNS, DHCP, Windows 2003 Server then I suggest you have a look at Train Signal.
                AD - http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...WPROD&ProdID=3
                DNS - http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...WPROD&ProdID=8
                DHCP - http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...WPROD&ProdID=9
                Run through these computer based tutorials and they will give you Instant Experience. Not kidding, they are really good and will get you up to speed on each of the topics in the time it takes to view them.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X