Strange things afoot...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange things afoot...

We have a Win2k Domain that is being held together by sticky tape and glue at the moment. Let me outline the structure:

DC1 - Originally the Main DC (Held all the FSMO Roles). Now it is simply a DC with no FSMO roles. Is an old server and was upgraded from NT4. Is also a GC, serves DNS and also WINS

DC2 - Originally a Secondary DC. Now holds all FSMO Roles. Is a GC was installed as a fresh Win2k Server. Also serves DNS and WINS.

All our problems seem to stem from DC1. It's event log is full of replication errors (every 5 mins):
    EventID: 1000
    Description: Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects . A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by this policy engine.

EventID: 1000
    Description: Windows cannot establish a connection to <Domain Name> with (1787).

DC2 has none of these errors and if we add a third DC, we get no errors from that either.

The problem is when I demote DC1 to stop it being a DC. Most of the PC's on our site start experiencing name resolution errors. IP's are assigned to PC's via DHCP and DC2 is the primary DNS, while DC1 is secondary.

I cant understand why it happens as the DNS/WINS role is still running on DC1.

One day DC1 is going to stop working and ideally I want to be able to avoid the entire site shutting down due to a single DC.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Cheers
    Niels

Re: Strange things afoot...

For how long do they experience the problem? I would suggect shutting down DC1 then rebooting your clients and trying again. Clients will cache AD and DNS information so maybe your not waiting long enough for the info to "cache out".

Comment

Are these clients Windows 2000 only by any chance?
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Not too sure about whether or not they're 2000 only clients. Last time I tried to demote was during work hours, it was an unforeseen effect and I didn't have time to analyse what was going on, we just had to re promote the DC to get comms back.

Now I'm aware that it happens, I'm going to have to work over a weekend to properly analyse the effect.

If I remember correctly, we did ask users to reboot their systems, but it had no effect.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Niels

Comment

Well there's a known issue with Windows 2000 with Upgraded NT4 DC's. I think the machines become transfixed with the first AD DC they see after an upgrade. I will try to dig the info out for you but I read about this from a Windows 2003 Server book.

*Edit*

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298713
          Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Excelent! At least its a step closer for me.
            Thanks
            Niels

Comment

Working...
            X