No announcement yet.

Windows 2003 and GPO

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 and GPO

I have finished with the DNS and AD on my server. I like to create GPO that would not allow users to use the control panel, see the my network places, and install software. I also would like to know if their is a GPO that would not allow them to visit xxx rated sites I have a son that is 8 years old.

Re: Windows 2003 and GPO

The first half of your problem is easily solved

To create a GPO that will not allow users to access control panel, etc first open Active directory users and computers, then right click on the OU you wish to manage, select properties and then group policy, then "Open group policy management"

Create a new GPO and link it to the folder where the users (or computers) are stored in

The settings for control panel are under "User configuration" -> "Adminstrative templates" -> control panel

From there you can flat out disallow access to the control panel, or if you wish certain control panel applets (for example, we have disallowed all applets except "mail")

If all of your users in your AD are set up as standard, non power users, they shoul d not be able to install software.

Re: Windows 2003 and GPO

The second half of your request is a little open ended

If you are running Active directory in an organization, you can manage internet access by using a perimeter firewall program like ISA server and configuring a 'blacklist' of URLs or keywords that you want to deny access to.

There are many third party programs that can take the hassle out of manually handling blacklists such as products from GFI (
      but I have found that a fairly comprehensive keyword blocker and blacklist will keep most users at bay. In our organization, there is a strict policy against non-work related sites and our logs are reviewed weekly. It depends on your company policy as to how effective products like this will be

On the other hand, if you are looking for a simple home solution, then there are many programs like net nanny out there that will protect young ones from accidentally clicking on something that they really shouldnt

I hope this helps