RAID1 and Server 2003 R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID1 and Server 2003 R2

The Server is now running Windows Server 2003 R1 SP1 . Disk Mirroring (RAID1) is active for Diaster Recovery. I'm told that any plans to upgrade to Server 2003
    R2 requires the RAID1 configuration be broken. Is this true?

Thanks in Advance,

Jon

Re: RAID1 and Server 2003 R2

Have you used Windows Disk Mirroring? Or is it mirrored in hardware, on a RAID controller card?

I haven't heard the requirement to break the mirror however if it's a hardware solution you WON'T need to break it because it's invisible to the OS. If it's Windows Mirroring then you need to search further because I don't know if it's true or not.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

If it is a hardware RAID all you should have to do is plug in the RAID drivers (press f6 during setup) so it sees your current OS and then upgrade - If it is a software raid then yes you will have to break it.

Comment

p.s. Windows based mirroring is of limited use in Disaster Recovery because it's done at an OS level. The only sensible way to do RAID is in hardware - ESPECIALLY on the system/boot volume.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          p.s. Windows based mirroring is of limited use in Disaster Recovery because it's done at an OS level. The only sensible way to do RAID is in hardware - ESPECIALLY on the system/boot volume.
          Totally agree - on top of that the performance difference (depending on RAID setup) can speed up your server - Hot swap on hard drives in case one dies, ect ect . . .

Comment

Thank all of you for the reply.

The Disk Mirroring used is from the Windows Disk Management Option.

Jon
            Last edited by jonfioravan; 21st November 2007, 20:48.

Comment

Windows Server 2003 Disk Mirroring.

Comment

Yes, break your software RAID, update server and re-establish mirror

Comment

Thank You Jpagel !

Comment

Working...
                  X