Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop gypsie static IPs appearing on the subnet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop gypsie static IPs appearing on the subnet?

I have a problem where someone is setting up their own IP address on new printers in the company but not asking me first. This then leads to the lack of a DHCP leases for that printer's MAC and then the BAD_Address on IPs.

Is there anyway to stop devices from using static IPs unless a higher power lets it?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Stop gypsie static IPs appearing on the subnet?

Most printers can be locked down with a password to prevent users changing settings. Try using a web browser to the printers IP address.
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

How are these new printers being brought into the company? Did the company purchase them, or are end users bringing their own printers onto the network? Do people have local rights to add printers to their computers? Or are these printers being shared out from a server?

What we do here is have a separate VLAN just for printers, and set the printers w/ static IPs. You could go a step further and set up MAC filtering, so that they HAVE to go through you to get them to work at all
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The bigger picture is that anyone can bring any device on to the network and give it an ip address, not just printers. You need some type of Network Access Control mechanism to prevent this.

Comment

You could pull the network cable off the patch panel for all unused network ports, then if someone needs a port they call you to activate. Assuming you have everything perfectly labeled.
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

MAC filtering (depending on hardware and the amount of time of setup)

Comment

Working...
            X