Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to rejoin server to Win2003 domain after doing a disjoin

Hi there,

Hope someone can help me out with this problem.

I have a up and running Windows 2003 domain setup with a mixture of Windows 2003 servers, W2k and Winxp machines connected to it. There were no problems with new machines joining the domain and this system has been running for a while.

Just a few months ago, one of the system guys manually changed the time on the PDC as it was a 1 minute off the clock. In doing that, he accidentally changed the date on the PDC as well without knowing it. I was called in when the servers all suddenly lost connection. We worked out the problem of the date being changed, reverted that back to the correct date and connection was restored. However, one of our file application servers, SRV11 just would not login to the domain. When we rebooted it, it starts up but the login script that it should be running is not activated. Checking the event logs, there were multiple 1030 and 1058 events being logged on "Access denied to Group Policy". After some research, turns out that Windows 2003 has a built in security where if the time on member boxes differentiate from the PDCs by 5 mins or so, you would not be able to log in. I tried applying the changes that Microsoft recommended but we couldn't get it to connect back to the domain.

Yesterday I tried taking the problem server out of the domain, and then rejoining it back to the domain. I have done this a couple of times when our member PCs had problem logging into the domain due to IP conflicts and things like that. But this time round it came back with an error message "Network path not found. Please ensure that you have entered the correct domain name, or check that your network is running." I tried removing another server from the the domain and it was able to rejoin back to the domain successfully.

Can anyone advice on this matter? This server is critical to the whole system and we need to get it back online. Currently I am using a backup server to run the other applications. Not sure if this matters but there are 2 network cards running on the server. Another thing to note is that the backup server is experiencing the original Group Policy problem that SRV11 has. As this is a live production system, I can't really mess around with the settings or such.

Hope to receive a reply from someone soon.
    Thanks.

Re: Unable to rejoin server to Win2003 domain after doing a disjoin

Have you tried to join the SRV11 server by the same name ? with the same IP ?

But It doesn't matter much, because all the objects are bound by GUIDs.
    From, DNS server remove all the entries of old server. Search all the sub tabs for it in DNS server.
    If any other shares of old server are mapped to domain controller, remove the sharing.
    If this doesn't happen, then you remove the server name entry from the ADSIEDIT utility. (Free utility from MS).

NOTE: Using ADSIEDIT is extremely dangerous. First you search on the net, how to use it. OR take assistance of a senior Server Admin.
    Because it is directly edits Active Directory Database. Any changes can not be rolled back.

Amit
    From,
    Amit
    [/EMAIL]

Comment

Hi Amit,

SRV11 is not the domain. It is a file application server that I am having problems trying to join back to the domain. I have tried removing all entries from the dns tabs, but that did not seem to work...will have a look at ADSIEDIT.

Thanks.

Comment

Have you tried using the FQDN on SRV11 (as per attached images. Ignore .com typo in second image)) when trying to get it to join?

Click image for larger version

Name:	join-domain1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	463379 Click image for larger version

Name:	join-domain2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	463380
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No I did not use the FQDN. But the problem has been solved thank you. It was due to the machine box being a multi-homed server, and the network guys not setting up the routing properly.

Comment

Working...
          X