Merge system partition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merge system partition

On our server, whoever set it up created a 10GB system partition C: and a 24GB data partition E:. We no longer use the data partition, and the system partition is very full, IE less than 100MB free. I would like to merge the two partitions - they are the sole partitions on one drive. Drive C: has Server 2003 installed on it. Drive E: has some programs installed on it, and some shared folders which are fairly critical. Can I merge the two, call it C:, without screwing things up? I'm hoping that C:\Program Files and E:\Program Files will just turn into C:\Program Files without any headaches.

Any tips? I don't have Partition Magic, but will get it if I need to.

Re: Merge system partition

ok... i have one idea that i know will work.

i dont know about merging the partition, but you can extend the C: to the full capacity of the drive...

get out your favorite backup software and back-up the contents of the 24 gig extra partition.

now, you will need a knoppix live disk. download your favorite flavor and burn it to a disk. all versions of knoppix will include a piece of software called "QTParted"

QTParted is a cool partition tool that runs on linux installs.

when you boot with the knoppix disk, there are a couple "cheats" you will want to use. when the knoppix screen is up, there is a prompt at the bottom. eventually, it will automatically boot without any switches... but if you type something it will prevent the auto boot.

you want to type the following at the prompt:
    boot: knoppix noswap toram

the command "noswap" does just that; no swap file. if there isnt a swap partition, then knoppix will detect the windows page file and use it instead, so the "noswap" prevents it from doing so. we dont want any of the drive we are modifying to be mounted.

the second command "toram" will make knoppix load the entire contents of the CD to the system physical ram. this does require that you have more than a gig of RAM. if its a server, then you probably have 2 or more... of not, then skip the command.

once the system boots, you will start QTParted and highlight the disk in question. it will show the system partition and the 24 gig we want to get rid of. with the disk selected, in the right window, select the partition you want gone and select delete. then, select commit from the drop down menu at the top. i think the catagory is called Disk, but im not sure.. youll see it. a popup will appear and inform you of the status of the actions.

once the partition is deleted, you may have to reboot knoppix. repeat the above boot procedure, using the "cheats" provided.

after booting the second time, start QTParted again and then highlight the disk. now you will have a new option when right-clciking on the C: partition: RESIZE!

select resize and then a dialog appears. it allows you to move a slide or entering a number to choose the new partition size. slide the bar all the way to the right, filling up the disk. now commit the changes again and reboot to windows.

you will have to do a disk check (which windows will force down your throat, like it or not) and i would suggest you dont skip it. skipping it will hose things im sure...

now you have a bigger system partition.

enjoy, and gimme that karma.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

The shares are relatively easy to fix but the programs installed on E: will cease to work and you'll be left sorting through registry entries, ini files, config files, etc. trying to get them to work. You need to reinstall the programs that are on the E: drive onto the C: drive. Move your shares to the C: drive making sure to un-share and then re-share them. Use Partition Magic to merge the 2 partitions or image the C: drive and then start from scratch with a single partition, making sure that whatever imaging software you use can be booted from CD and can access the drive type on the server (SCSI, SAS, etc.).

Comment

Thanks for the replies - I have about 1 month to get it sorted out. Gonna be a big PITA, because the E: drive has critical programs installed on it. I was sort of hoping a program like Partition Magic would be able to sort out drive letter changes and then merging of partitions, but I've never used it. In fact, I've never dealt with partitions until now.

Comment

Well... maybe Partition Magic can do what you need to do with the programs. It's probably worth a look at their web site or even call their support department to find out.

Comment

Can you put in another drive, move the contents of the current E drive to it and then merge the original C and E drives. You will need to recreate shares but should (as long as the new drive gets the letter E) be able to continue to use applications

alternatively, investigate additional drives mounted to specific folders on the current C drive to add extra space

Tom
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Can you put in another drive, move the contents of the current E drive to it and then merge the original C and E drives. You will need to recreate shares but should (as long as the new drive gets the letter E) be able to continue to use applications
              Great suggestion, but problem is our server is full - we have a few more drives that now act as data drives and a backup drive.

I'm leaning towards moving some of the unimportant installed programs from C: to E:, which will clear up a few hundred MB, then just using Partition Magic to shrink the E: down a bit and beef up the C:. I can always move the shares and programs to C: and wipe out E: afterwards, if I have to.

Thanks for the replies given.

Comment

Apart from the applications, what special roles does the server have?
                If it is not irreplaceable (e.g. only DC), consider a full backup / wipe / rebuild the way you want it!
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X