Administrator account of a DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administrator account of a DC

I am using Active Directory with default permissions on Windows server 2003 at my workplace, I am using the Administrator account for myself which allows me to do everything in client workstations, I created a new user for my assistant and added it to the Administrators group but the user is not able to install, enable/disable LAN, change clock.

Please advise
    Thank you,
    Adnan

Re: Administrator account of a DC

Is the new user in the same Container/OU as the administrator (your) account? There may be a GPO applied on the other admin if they are in a different OC/Container.

Btw when you do solve the problem it might be an idea to create a seperate account for yourself.
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Did you add the new user account to the domain admins group?

If the new user is a local administrator only, that account will not have as much power as you expect.

Insepct the group membership of the account that you use and compare those groups to the group membership of the new account you created. See that they differ significantly, and that will help you decide which groups to join the new account to.

Good luck and best wishes,
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

This user I created is yes in the same container where 'Administrator' exists (Default), I tried adding more users and added them in the Administrator group tried to log into different workstations but the same problem existed. I also made sure that the user was not added in the local machine.

I have no clue what should be done.

Thank you,
        Adnan

Comment

...and did you add the new user accounts to the domain admins group? you will find that from a workstation's point of view, the Domain Admins group is a member of the local Administrators group, (which is what you want) by default. There is this signifcant difference between the Administrators group and the Domain Admins group.

Adding new domain user accounts to the Administrators group on the domain controller is not enough to ensure high enough rights over the workstations.
          Last edited by PaulH; 11th November 2007, 22:20.
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.
          MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Thank you so much, yes after adding it in the domains admin group it is working fine now. But I tried it earlier adding the user into the domains admin group and it was not working, maybe the priveleges were not updated from the domain controller on the workstations.

Regards,
            Adnan

Comment

Originally posted by skidrow52 View Post
              Thank you so much, yes after adding it in the domains admin group it is working fine now. But I tried it earlier adding the user into the domains admin group and it was not working, maybe the priveleges were not updated from the domain controller on the workstations.
              You need to log out and re-login for the group membership changes to take effect.
              Guy Teverovsky
              "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thanks guyt

Comment

Working...
                X